Red Mangroves

reefnoob

Reefing newb
So how do you care for them in a refugium? Are they easy? Can someone tell me the step by step for planting them and caring for them?

I have 3 in my sump. I just have them set up in the rock in my refugium and I mist them with RO/DI water every day or other day

My setup (for pods)

IMG_4111

1) get a piece of Styrofoam cut to about the size of edge of your refugium - punch holes in them so that the pods will fit.

2) put the pods into the foam - the foam will float and make sure the tops of the mangroves stay above water and the roots will remain below

3) set up a light - nothing fancy 6700k will do

4) watch them grow.

5) Mangroves need some mag for faster grow - so make sure your levels are at least 1300

6) I keep cheato in the refugium too - so the foam pieces fit around the edge and the cheato gets sunlight around the foam

Have you started trimming your mangroves yet? I'm concerned because I don't have too much height under my display. How would you prune it?

the roots have to be underwater and the leaves have to be above water. don't trim them you need them to get big before they really make any impact on nitrate export.

if they get too tall - just push them down a bit on the foam. eventually you'll have to set up a refugium for mangroves when they get too big - i'm probably about 4-5 months away

When it sheds leaves don't let them stay in the refugium / sump water because they then break down and dump the nutrients back in....It's easy to keep track of...

I would still give a bit of down time (8 hours) - most plants actually grow better when there is down time. I think 24 hours actually slows their growth. I have macroalgae in the refugium so I run it at night for 16 hours

Ok, its just that I noticed I have less nitrates when I run the lights 24/7 versus only 12. How far apart do they have to be placed? I have them growing literally right next to each other.

i have 50 pretty close to each other.

8509314155_e5fa453ccb_o.jpg

Back