Red slime..!

I adjusted the #4 output to blow onto the chest and rocks, my problem with this is the live rock goes almost right up to the glass in some places, so a powerhead or two mounted at an angle would be better for blowing into the pile.

Yah I noticed that all the flow was either on the bottom or the top. To bad they didn't put a few in the back middle area. Guess you'll be buying a few powerheads which don't cost a whole lot.

I've already learned.. I'm a fountain pen user/slight collector, I'm afraid to add up my receipts lol.. I'm guessing somewhere in the upper 5k or so range, over 5 years, before then I used my parents!

I'm reading that power compacts are no good and T5s are better, should I upgrade?

Tank is 2ft deep.

and yes I do want corals, my cousin was able to have corals at the top of the pile, (those blue shrooms that died..)

Last edited:
They were fine with the mushrooms. At least from what I know.

However i would rather my money not be eaten, so any corals that I MIGHT be able to try?

Update.. Just did my weekly water test, everything's looking ok, ammonia levels are at ~.25 ppm,

also noticed this yesterday when I was removing the cyano. Should I scrape it off as well?

That looks like the start of either hair algae or bryopsis.Both are a pain to get rid of.
Just keep your water quality high,and manually remove as much as possible as often as possible,and run some phos-ban or other phosphate media.

Ok, I also called my cousin, but she says its a beneficial algae which was growing for well over a year to reach that size... Maybe the camera's making the the algae look different?

There's really no such thing as beneficial algae in a display tank, especially if you plan on keeping corals. Algae doesn't occur naturally on reefs, and it will smother out any corals you try to keep. Since your tank is fish only for now, it's only an eyesore and isn't hurting anything.

You definitely need powerheads. Koralias are expensive in a tank that size. I have a 240 gallon, and I run six Koralia 3s. MaxiJet is another brand of powerhead that works very well, and is a fraction of the price of Koralias. You can pick up a good MaxiJet for less than $20. I'd recommend six of them for a tank your size. Frankly, I'm really surprised the fish have been able to live with such little flow. Having too little flow will usually kill fish very quickly. In saltwater, that's a really important component of a tank. In nature, the reefs are very turbulent places. They are shallow, with big waves crashing over them constantly. There's a lot of water movement there, and that's what reef fish are used to living with.

You will be able to keep some corals with the fish you have, if you upgrade lights. Keeping anything with the lights you have now will be really iffy. Even the lowest light corals need more light than what you've got.

Your fish probably won't touch mushrooms and leather corals. They will eat pretty much everything else though, so you may be limited to those two types. Luckily, there is a lot of variety and color among mushrooms and leathers, and they are low light corals so you don't need to break out the big guns as far as lighting goes to keep them.

Back