Reef livestock timing

Branden

Reefing newb
I have couple questions that I've had a hard time getting answers. My tank has been up and running for about 3 months. Everything is stable. The questions I have are:

How long should I wait to start adding anenomes? My local pet store said I could do it right now so I bought a bubble tip, but 2 days later the only thing left of him was a cloudy tank and a small mess in the bottom of the tank.
2. How long should I wait to add a Mandarin Goby?

Alright... So this is a loaded question as we don't have many details yet. What's your lighting look like? Flow? Readings? What kind of test kits are you using and how old are they? How big is your tank?

If you can supply that info, we can all have a better understanding of what's going on :)

I'm using LED lightimg. 12 hours of blues and 6 of white and red. 60 gallon tank. All my levels are normal range. PH is 8.3 and salinity is 1.25.I've been using API test kits that don't expire for awhile. 2 wave makers on each end of the tank plus I'm using a Fluvall 306 cannister so there is surface water flow as well. Hope this helps an thanks for the help.

You need to have a mature tank for anemones. Mature not only for tank parameters to become stable but so you as the aquarist can become more familiar with your system. You also want to make sure you find an anemone that healthy (i.e. no gaping mouth, attached to something, good color, sticky, etc...). Picking out a healthy one is probably the single most important thing. BTA's are usually pretty resilient but you are not the first to have one die nor will you be the last. Just take your time and find the right one for you.
I would wait a while on the mandarin until your tank is good and established. They spend all day finding and eating copepods and it takes time to build a good population. It is also beneficial if you can find one eating frozen foods. That will go a long way in keeping it healthy.

Also posting actual parameter numbers really helps us help you. I think you probably had a typo on your SG being 1.25? It should be 1.025.

Back