Reef Octopus Skimmer / Sump question

dskirtech

Reef'n The Day Away
Guys, Its me again,

I am building my sump tonight and am looking at the last piece which i havent been able to find local, so i am going to have to order it.

My questions is... Im looking at footprints for the skimmer and how to build this particular section of my Sump tank.

The FootPrint for the NWB 150 is 12" inches (long). If i make it 13 inches in this chamber, will that be enough water volume in that chamber to keep it effective?

Additionally, and more importantly, I have seen many threads about water level in that chamber (submerssed) and i really need to know how tall to make my partition to keep the water level at the right height...

if I make it 10" is that too low? Too High? Im building this tonight, so I anyone can reply, that would rock!

Thanks again!

Dane

8" is about the average, IMO. I would make your baffle 10" tall, and then make a platform out of eggcrate, and you you can cut five pvc legs (each corner and a center) to hold up the skimmer. This way, you can cheaply and easily vary the height of the skimmer by switching out the legs.

Size of the skimmer chamber isn't a big deal, just as long as you can fit the skimmer in it. The chamber is sectioned off mainly for keeping the height of the water constant, and helping to stop bubbles.

what piece are you looking for? I would bet you could get away without having to order online.....

In addition to the eggcrate idea (which is excellent) another solution is to use the leftover plastic/acrylic that you used to make the sump to make a box for the skimmer to sit on if the submersion is too much. Only problem with that is not being able to easily adjust the height like the pvc legs.

Thanks for the tips! Ill start on my Skimmer Platform project when it arrives and show you all what I come up with!

Back