Reef safe paint?

I'm setting up a 5.5 AIO, and the piece of acrylic I'm using for the divider is clear. It's not the end of the world if it stays like this, I'll probably end up stacking rock against it anyways, but is there any paint that would be safe to use, so that it would be black?

No. Not that I know of. However, you can buy acrylic in all varieties of colors...Just look online..But I wouldn't paint it. Saltwater is very corrosive, at some point it would eat that paint off the acrylic...fish would eat it, and as far as I know (I'm no expert) Fish shouldn't eat paint.:D In fact, nobody should really eat paint, but try telling that to our friends in Kentucky.:D

Actually there is a paint and it's Krylon Fusion. If you google "reef safe paint" you'll find threads of it being used with no problems through out the internet. Also, I was talking to a friend just today who has painted white PVCs in a SPS tank with no problem. I have used this paint on several of my other tanks backs in the past, so now I will be painting a few parts for inside tank within the next few days for my new build.

Last edited:
Snails will actually pull krylon fusion off of pvc and acrylic.I bought a used tank with a krylon fusion painted overflow and drains and you could see snail tracks in the paint just like they leave on the glass.first thing i did was cut out and replace the overflow and all in tank plumbing.I would never use paint in my tank.for a small project like that colored acrylic is cheap enough

If you take 800-1000 grit wet/dry sand paper. It will help the paint to have something to bite onto otherwise it can peel off easier. And I agree buy the color you want if your worried about it.

I was thinking about fusion, I used it once in my freshwater tank, and had no problems, other than it peeling off a lot. TBH, I'm just going to build up the rocks over the piece anyways, so I'm just going to leave it.

Back