Reef Tank

F550dieseldriver

Reefing newb
Hey guys. So I found an ad on Craigslist while looking for tank supplies. An older man is selling his 75 gal tank, with live rock, corals, fish, accessories, supplies, everything for a complete setup. I spoke with him over the phone about it earlier. I'm waiting on the pictures to be sent, so I can post them on here and get some feedback from people who know a little more than me.

I basically wanted some advice on the steps to move such a tank (if i decide to purchase it). My idea was to get a bunch of 5 gal buckets and group the tank specimens in different buckets, and transport them in my truck.

Can I get some input? I have plenty of space in my truck but I wanted to know if there's anything I should take into to consideration when moving/re-installing a tank of this size.

Help?

-MG

As we wait for pix i can tell you this...

5g buckets would work however your going to need a crap ton of them for a 75g tank. When i decided to take water from a friend that was breaking down his tank i had to buy 9 buckets. I've heard those big tupperware tubs work better but i guess its just up to you. Theres really no way you can prevent the water from sloshing around so maybe even with the lids on either the buckets or tubs add some saran wrap? How far will the move be? Im still new to the hobby but thats jus my 2 cents. I;m sure more could chime in with better imput. Looking forward to the pix and welcome to the site.

I used some 18 gal tupperware containers. That will most likely be easier than 5 gal buckets. A lot of how you do things depends on what you're getting though...

5 gallon buckets work awsome. Just put a few fish in each bucket with some of the water. You can get new buckets from Walmart for like 2 bucks apiece. Then grab you a medium size tote or tub from walmart for your rock (just wrap them up in some wet newspaper) to keep them alive till you get the tank moved. This will make it easier to move and less buckets to buy.:bowdown:Goodluck:Cheers: You wont really need that many buckets, cause I would do like a 15 gallon water change anyways...

5 gallon buckets work awsome. Just put a few fish in each bucket with some of the water. You can get new buckets from Walmart for like 2 bucks apiece. Then grab you a medium size tote or tub from walmart for your rock (just wrap them up in some wet newspaper) to keep them alive till you get the tank moved. This will make it easier to move and less buckets to buy.:bowdown:Goodluck:Cheers: You wont really need that many buckets, cause I would do like a 15 gallon water change anyways...

I assume the water will still be in good shape once i get it home. You mentioned a 15% water change. Does that mean I should make up some saltwater and add it when it's ready? Or just add pure water? :dunno

When doing a waterchange use saltwater. For instance if you take 5 gallons of salt water out put 5 gallons of salt water back in.
If you have water evaporation later on you add fresh water. Make sense?

Here's some picture if what this gentleman's tank is.

IMG_4079.jpg

It's been active for about 2 years now. It's a 75 gallon mixed tank with a 2-inch sandbed, some live rock, a few coral species, a clownfish, 3 damsels, a blenny, and around 80-100 snails/small crabs.

IMG_4081.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4081.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

As far as equipment goes, he couldn't tell me brand names becuase his son bought them. Understandable. It had 2 large filter setups, each with 2 wheel-type filters, for a total of 4 rotating filters.

IMG_4088.jpg

I only have one pictured, but he had two of these types of filters (idk what they're called...)

Lighting was pretty impressive (to me, anyway). He wasn't sure what they were called, but they didn't look cheap. There was 3 or 4 different combination of light output. One of them was the neat-looking moonlights. He also had a couple different timing devices. I thought they were interesting. Much cooler than my current lights :P

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4087.jpg

Included in the sale of the tank was the hardwood tank stand, all the supplies and accessories, a few bags of instant ocean salt mix and his chemicals and feeding supplies. The tank also comes with a decent sized protien skimmer.

BTW, He's just looking to get out of the hobby. He wants $200 for the entire tank. An excellent deal, IMO.

Feel free to give me your opinions on this tank using the pictures attached. Opinions?

Back