refug question

gasman

Reefing newb
I am thinking about adding a refug. about a 10 gallon. I only have a 20 gallon reef. I wanted to know which is better mud or sand bottom Thanks:bowdown:

I will be going with miracle mud for 1/2 and Kent marine bio sediment for the other half. just my thoughts. I will also be using some cheato. reason to the substrait is to develope a natural food source. Ill also have live rock in the refuge. just my two cents. good luck keep us posted.

I am wanting a natural filter and also enlarge size have a place to put skimmer make water changes and add supp. How are you planning to use both John? Mud on bottom and sand on top both mixed together or sepatate compartments. Try to get some ideas going to do this myself. Buying the tank and putting in the bulkheads my self.

I will be using a cpr refuge pro and will divide the main chamber in half with 3 to 4 inch of mud on one side and 3 to 4" of kent bio sediment on the other.

When I do this will it need to cycle? If so what is the best way to do this? Thanks for any help on this.:bowdown:

Your system will seed the refuge, and if you add live sand or rock to the fuge, you will be ok as your system is already matured to some extent. It will take the fuge a little bit to break in but not to worry, it will season and the benefit will increase as it matures. keep us posted.

Back