Refuge ?

Dwhitt1981

Reefing newb
Ok I've been told that a sump with a refuge is the way to go. So what are the ins and outs of them? What will I need to set it up?Or the HOB ones any good or Should I just go in sump?And will my 10gal be a good size for this?What type of light do I use and will it be used the same as my tank light or in reverse(when one gos off the other comes on kind of thing)?Thanks for all the help:D

Last edited:
Ok I've been told that a sump with a refuge is the way to go. So what are the ins and outs of them? What will I need to set it up?Or the HOB ones any good or Should I just go in sump?And will my 10gal be a good size for this?What type of light do I use and will it be used the same as my tank light or in reverse(when one gos off the other comes on kind of thing)?Thanks for all the help:D

Ok I've been told that a sump with a refuge is the way to go - Ageed

So what are the ins and outs of them? - Basically all you need to do is find a tank (the bigger the better) and buy some plexi glass to make sections and create these section:

1. Area for incoming water from main tank & skimmer
2. Section for the fuge (water comes in from the incoming section into the fuge section)
3. Water out section (water comes in from the fuge and goes back into the main tank using a pump. You need an overflow box so the water can drain down from the main tank into the sump.

What will I need to set it up? - a tank (biggest you can get), overflow box, return pump, plexigalss & sealant

Or the HOB ones any good or Should I just go in sump? - Personally i would go with a sump.

And will my 10gal be a good size for this? - Any size tank could benefit from a fuge.

What type of light do I use and will it be used the same as my tank light or in reverse(when one gos off the other comes on kind of thing)? - Depends on what you want to keep. Fish only doesnt matter. If you;re going for a reef i would recommend t5 or MH lighting. I keep my fuge lights on 24/7 and my main lights 12 hours.

Good luck.

I'm going to do sump, but I didn't know if the refuge that hang on the back were good or just do a in sump refuge?

I'll be using a T-5 light I think for my main tank. The light I need to know about is the one the refuge itself.

I have a fuge set up for my 45g. it's a 20g, separated into 3 compartments -- intake/skimmer area, return area, and fuge area. I've got huge hundreds of huge pods growing in there and that's just within 3 months. Plus, my nitrates are constantly 0ppm.

For lighting, i used a floodlight that i bought from home depot, and the best light that I could find that worked was a compact flourescent (cfl) that was 23W (equivalent to 120w i believe). I made the mistake of using a regular lightbulb, and had no growth with my chaeto...it eventually died off. i switched to cfl, and a month later, my chaeto is HUUUUUUGE. Even leftover pieces from the previous chaeto that I thought was dead grew again.

My fuge is under the tank. If you do hob, you have the advantage of getting a good food source in your tank.

Back