Refugium and Sump Setup

pstaus

Paul
Hi
I have just stood up a 150g main that has 2 lower 30g tanks. The main tank drains from the top left side and falls down into a filter box just above the left lower tank. In this tank I have 2 and a half inches of sand the was taken out of a 55g tank I just upgraded from. Also, I have put a few smaller live rock in there as well as some chaetomorpha in it. The water then overspills into the right lower 30g tank. In the lower right tank I have the shimmer which is a DAS BX2 with two pumps on it. In this lower right side along with the skimmer I have the pump for sending it back up to the main tank at 581 gph which is introduced back up on the back top right hand side of the main tank. I have pointed it towards the front left corner with the hope of keeping the whole main tank circulating. I forgot to mention that I have a small light that has 2 60 house lamps in it that I have been leaving on permanently. The bulbs are the soft white twisted energy savers.
I'm not real sure of my setup as far as the placement of everything. Is there something I need to rearrange or even change. replace or even remove.
Any advice will be greatly abbreciated. I am totaly lost when it comes to the refugium and sump.

Here are some pics of what i've done so far.

Whole Setup.JPG

Refugium bottom left.JPG

Refugium.JPG

Sump Skimmer.JPG

It is Cheato . I would love to have more. It is very hard to get in my area. It is rare to see it in stock and when it is It usually is sold before it hits the counter.
Yes i would love some more.
I have no filtration system other than 1 thin slice of foam in the box that is taking water into the Refugium and the skimmer that has 2 smaller strips in it. My question is, How do we get the gunk out of the bottom of the tank because everything filter is coming from the top.

Back