Refugium Lighting!

LoveJC03

Reef Enthusiast
Our 15gal sump has a 5gal refugium.

First I want to know, what is everyone putting in their fuges?
What about.. a piece of live rock, live sand, macro algae & a few snails?

I also want to know, what lighting should we have for it? We have a tank light with 2 15w bulbs.

You can get a clip on light reflect from home depo and put one of those squiggly CFL bulbs in there which is plenty of light for cheato, which is the most common and popular macro algae for fuges.

I would do no sand also...too messy. chaeto above all else, live rock if you have some extra.

Bought some new lights for our fixture that's for our sump/refugium. Wow! These lights look like led's.. I wonder how they'd look in our house if we replaced all of our normal CFL's :D After you turn them off they glow green!

image1rfv.jpg

Last edited:
i dont know if im crazy or not but the space that my scrubber is in i put cheato and now i wonder if i really need 3 compartments lol

Hm.. I'm not sure, I've seen the scrubbers people have online and I think they usually put them in the skimmer section and not the fuge.

well my scrubber runs from my overflow so it had its own compartment tub that drains into another tub with was going to be the fuge and then from the fuge the water goes into the final tub that containes the return pump and skimmer

Back