Refugium

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Quick question.

I have a 24 gal tank and I would like to build/buy a refugium for it. I hear that you can put pods in it to help feed my scooter blenny and I hear they are very beneficial to the tank. Any ideas?

it is never a bad idea to add a refugium to the tank.. more volume means more stable tank.. depends on what you have room for underneath or you could get a hang on the back refugium.. either way you go yes you can create a pod population for your blenny..

Yeah I personally didn't like sand in mine I just use rubble rock. Sand isn't wrong its just my personal choice because its cleaner without it and I was less worried I may stir it up and cause problems.

There are many things online about setups and goods and bads. Oh yeah I have chaeto in mine as well.

I think you're going to find getting it to flow into the refugium is going to be a problem, unless you drill holes into the back for an overflow.

I tried running a refugium on my nanocube but, I couldn't keep a steady flow rate into the refugium so sometimes my return section would run dry and other times it would run high.

what about a syphon at the bottom of the back of the internal overflow? Or something like an over-the-back filter system?

what about a syphon at the bottom of the back of the internal overflow? Or something like an over-the-back filter system?

That's how I did mine, I used 1/2" PVC and had it plumbed to about 1-1 1/2" above the bottom of the back chamber, then it ran up and over the back of my tank and down to the refugium. Maybe there is some way to create a reliable rate of flow but, I could never figure out how. It was a pain because instead of just topping off my tank everyday, I had to measure the salinity first to see just how much water I had actually lost.

If I am trying to feed my Blenny, can I put the pods right into the tank? Or maybe into the little refugium that is built into the back of my nano tank?

You can buy and add a bottle of Tiger Pods to your tank. He'll eat some, but most will get into the system and thrive, assuring him of live food for a while.

Back