regarding ich

ironnie7i

Reefing newb
If one of my fish has ich and I take him out will my other fish get it? and my second question is...
If i take out all the fish and treat them for ich as well, will my tank have it? and if so what would I have to do

If your one fish has ich then, all the fish in your tank have it. They're just healthy enough right now not to be showing signs of it.

You need to leave the tank empty without any fish in it for 8 weeks or so. Inverts and coral are fine. They dont contract ich.

Move the fish to a quarenteen tank and treat that. Then after 8 weeks, move them back to the display tank.

very few tanks do not have ich in them. You just can't see it. Fish only show the signs of ich when they are stressed. It's nearly impossible to keep an ich free tank. Most just keep one where you can't see the ich.

It takes that long to break the life cycle of the parasite. The only way to garuntee that your tank is ich free is to make sure to quarenteen every thing that comes into it. But keep the stress level down and you wont see the parasite.

Your two choices are to remove every single fish and treat every single fish in quarantine for at least 8 weeks, or leave the fish alone and hope that you can keep a healthy enough environment that none of them are affected by the parasite. I do the second option in my tank.

You need to leave the tank empty without any fish in it for 8 weeks or so. Inverts and coral are fine. They dont contract ich.

Move the fish to a quarenteen tank and treat that. Then after 8 weeks, move them back to the display tank.
This is well worth it IMO,otherwise everytime you get a new addition you'll be holding your breath and crossing your fingers and hoping your new one can fight it off.Why risk it?It still baffles me why everyone just doesn't QT from day one.

It still baffles me why everyone just doesn't QT from day one.

Cuz we're not as awesome as you :D

Yeah, I do wish when I put together the 125g that I started qt'ing all the livestock. I would have had the best oppotunity to do that when moving everyone -- I should have just treated them in the previous tank they'd bein for a year, so by the time I moved them to the 125, it would have been a totally fresh start...then I could have qt'd all the fish I've added since. I just lost a perfectly healthy voraciously eating tang to parasites had I qt'd him. Live and learn.

I have always q'ted,but i did have a very misfortunate accident awhile back.If i could help just a few hobbiest how to avoid the dreaded troubles that come with not QTing that would be awesome:D

Back