Removing Zoas

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I have heard that if you can get under the mat of the zoas, that you can just peel them off of whatever they are attached to. Is this correct? Is there any video of someone doing this? My tank is being over run with zoas and need to trade them or sell them. Any help would be appreciated!

I love youtube :D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssMmrcMiM7g&feature=plcp]How to Give Soft Corals a Nip/Tuck - YouTube[/ame]

I've seen this style of removal before, but I'm looking to just peel off large sections. I have a couple of areas about 8" x 8" that I'd like to remove all at one shot, but they spread across a couple pieces of rock.

Theres no way your going to just "peel" of an 8 x8 area of zoa's and its going to look pretty...just not happening my friend.

imo, best bet is to sell the whole rock or break it up into sections to sell it.

Once in a while there is an "easy" chunk I can break off to sell some of mine or a new rock/frag plug that is touching them they spread to.

Otherwise.... yeah, Good Luck! XD

Edit: A Razorblade is good for cutting in between them so that you don't rip polyps in half.

Also, zoa juice in the eye could put you in the hospital!

Last edited:
You can peel them off with a razor blade, but they won't come off nicely. You will end up with scraps, bits and pieces. :)

Back