replacing my sand

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
ok so i was thinking if i changed the sand in my tank would it start a small cycle ?

i liked the sand when i first got it but now im not too happy with it its reallt really fine but when the firefish move to fast and to close to the sand the make a sandstorm and then the sand gets all on the rocks i would like to switch it out with a slightly bigger size sand ( its not like beach sand but more like powdered sugar)

what kind of sand would yall recommend ? or is the sand ok i just dont want later the sand getting all on the corals and affecting them or maybe im overreacting

thanks in advance :Cheers:

fastrd would know best he changed his.....check his build thread. I personally love my mix of black and white substrate....the black is kinda chunky but doesnt look like "dingy" inbetween WC's. Actually some of my chunky rocks are growing coraline...

You can change it out, but will take time to get it all out. Try removing about a quarter of it on your next water change. Every 2 weeks when you do a water change take out more. It will take time, but will help keep the tank stable and not start and spikes.

This is so funny you started this thread :D I was just talking about doing the same thing with a fellow reefer today! I have a white sand bed but I really like the look of the black sand! I am going to watch this thread, let me know how it goes. I dont know if I want to open that can of worms yet because I recently added a jaw fish and I dont want him stressed out :dunno:

This is so funny you started this thread :D I was just talking about doing the same thing with a fellow reefer today! I have a white sand bed but I really like the look of the black sand! I am going to watch this thread, let me know how it goes. I dont know if I want to open that can of worms yet because I recently added a jaw fish and I dont want him stressed out :dunno:

uhhh that would be me?

I had to remove 120 pounds from mine due to flatworms. I used a large hose to syphon some out during each water change. Once you've got a good syphon going, I just sucked the sand out (along with the water) into a large rubbermaid tote. Once the tote filled up, I let the sand settle then sucked the water down the drain. I did this over the course of a month removing about 25% of the sand each time. It worked like a charm and it never caused a cycle!

Back