replacing t5's can be costly

right now i have 2 12k(ati aquablue), 2 blue plus(geisemann), 1 fiji purple(kz)
tank has nice 14k look to it. Had to take out 3rd 12k bulb and use fiji purple cause ricordea and other mushrooms didn't like all the light. I use 48" tx5 fixture by aquactinics and for 5 bulbs and individual reflectors its really bright.

The TX5 is a sweet fixture. I have one over my 55 gallon. I have all ATI bulbs and I have too much par. ALL of my ricordias/mushrooms/zoas hide from the light. They are even placed on the bottom of the tank. Every single coral including LPS are pale. I only have my lights on 5 hours a day.

The next time I order bulbs they will be lower par than ATI's. The TX5 would be perfect over a 90 gallon. I believe it's too much for a 55 gallon.

Last edited:
this time for my tx5 i'm trying 3 blue plus and 2 aquablue, but also have a fiji purple and pure actinic to use if i have to. trying to tone mine down also so shrooms and zoos will open up more but not to much that anenomes will suffer from it.

I've got you all beat, unfortunately. About 1 1/2 years ago I purchase a Solaris 60" for my aquarium and about 4 months ago I had a transformer go out as well as several individual lights. The light was still under warranty so I was excited about that. However when trying to contact the company I found that they had gone out of business. What! I paid around $3500 for that light. It's now sitting in the closet. I now have a new 60" Current outer orbit that does a much better job!

Solaris went out of business?

yeah PFO, the company that made the solaris, got into a patent lawsuit with the patent holder orbitech and in the process went bankrupt from it

I've got you all beat, unfortunately. About 1 1/2 years ago I purchase a Solaris 60" for my aquarium and about 4 months ago I had a transformer go out as well as several individual lights. The light was still under warranty so I was excited about that. However when trying to contact the company I found that they had gone out of business. What! I paid around $3500 for that light. It's now sitting in the closet. I now have a new 60" Current outer orbit that does a much better job!
Check out Aqua Illumination. They are going to be carrying replacement parts for the Solaris.
You can also try The Coral Corral. They had some Solaris power supplies in stock.
This ReefCentral thread has lots of info from ppl in the same situation as you.

I am running a 60" on my 180, and you can't tell the extra 6" on the sides. By the time the light spreads, it's no biggie. In fact, I have a crocea sitting right on the bottom corner and it's perfectly happy. My RBTA hides under a ledge. 8x80w bulbs at about 30 cdn = $240 bucks for 660w of lighting

Back