replacing top frame

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
Hi,

How hard is it to replace a top frame? My crossbar is broken and before I go through the painstaking process of a home job...is it doable, hard, expensive or what have you?
:bowdown::bounce:

I really dont know how hard it would be to replace that frame.
But I'm sure that if you get in contact with the tanks manufacture that they can get you a frame and tell you an easy way of replacing the broken one.

You could try simply gluing a piece of scrap plastic to the existing cross bar to bridge the break. Maybe use an epoxy? Not sure how well it would adhere if the frame is dirty or damp. You would also have to take care not to drip any glue into the water.

Is it the 30 or 150 gallon tank? If it is the 150 it would definitely be worth exploring a more professional fix since the stresses on the tank are a lot higher due to the massive weight of the water. If it is the 30 you could probably get a new tank and transfer everything over by the time you mess around finding a new frame, maybe paying for the frame, shipping, etc.

It is the 150 gallon. I cant seem to locate another frame but I am going to keep trying different resources. Worse comes to worse I know I would be able to repair it myself. I have already thought about how I would do it and I know it would hold just as well if not better than the original frame. My thought is that not only do I want it to be secure but I would like for sake of asthetics to have it look professional and not home jobbed. I think I will try the LFS and perhaps calling the glasscages.com. I have tried emailing marineland, the current owners of perfecto and I get absolutely no response. Kinda burns me up :frustrat:

Anyhow, if anyone has any further resources hook me up hehe

oh yeah problem resolved...

marine2.jpg

It's really not that hard. Once you get the new top frame, cut the silicone and pull the broken one off. Clean the top and any old silicone off, and bead the glass, and inside your new one. Put the new one on, applying pressure all around the top to get it to seat.

I'd do it just like fastrd400 said. Make sure and use acetone to clean off the old silicone. Get it all off there. And then get all the acetone off the glass. :mrgreen:

I learned this from building toy airplanes.
I use 2-part epoxy and other fiberglass or polyester resins a lot. Anytime you are messing with glue (silicone) - you better be ready with a bunch of disposable rags (paper towels) and a solvent that will wipe the glue off completely (acetone).

I would be ready with a 1/2g can of acetone and a whole roll of paper towels. Snap the paper towels off one at a time and pile up about 30 or 40 of them. Get them ready so you can just pick one up and soak it in acetone without having to mess with the roll.

I fold each paper towel up as I grab it. Takes 3 seconds to fold a towel over 4 or 5 times and make it 2" square and 3/4" thick. Just the right size to cover the hole in the acetone can. Hold it over the can and shake vigorously until the paper towel is nice and soaked. Tip the can up if you need too.

Now wring the towel out back into the can. What you have left, is a completely soaked paper towel. Takes 5 seconds to unfold it.

It helps if you have a helper. You should both wear gloves and safety glasses. The helper just soaks paper towels for you and takes used towels from you and pitches them in the trash can. The helper does all the dirty work while you make the seams nice and clean and detail the tank so no smudges of silicone end up dried on the glass where you don't want them. My wife usually helps me if I'm playing with airplanes and epoxy. Or if I'm at my friend Pete's house, we help each other when it comes to glues like this. Wipe off all the spooges and messes while they are wet.

You might have to press the top down and wipe the excess off the inside of the tank first. Then I'd probably put a big sheet of 3/4" MFB or plywood on top of the tank and stack books, bricks or some other weights all around the perimeter to put pressure all around while the silicone dries. About 200-250 pounds around that perimeter would get it stuck down really good and the glass will hold that up easily. Make sure it's level when you do this. Maybe set the tank on top of another piece of heavy plywood and level that plywood with door jam shims?

I've never done it, but I think I'd probably approach it sorta like that. Good luck and take pics!! :Cheers:

haha I am sure I can round up the supplies. I think I am going to just get the frame all in place and then turn the tank upside down and let its own weight hold the frame on. Then after it sets...turn it on its side and go to town on the drilling! No havent ordered it yet probably be in about two weeks or so depending on the check I get next...

lol SHHHHH dont jynx it...haha thats like shaking your fellow hunters hand before you are standing over your animal!!! Everything is going to go exactly as planned !! :shock::shock:

Back