rescaping and removing sand help

clownfish cj

Reefing newb
hey everybody, long time no post!

I am going to be rescaping my tank with rods and making it a really great aquascape. In doing so I want to remove all the rocks and I want to siphon out all the sand, put my new aquascaped rock back in place and then put the rinsed out sand back around the rock. The reason I am wanting to do this is I have had some fish deaths lately and found out I have marine velvet after alot of research. My 2 remaining alive fish are in quarantine getting copper treatment right now. Since they are out of my DT I want to clean up the sand and set the rocks up in a way where water can move better and get this tank back to pristine shape before I put the 2 fish back in or others for that matter.

Do you think removing the sand is a bad idea and if it isn't do you have any recommendations on how to safely remove it? I was planning on siphoning it out with my 5/8" water change hose.

Why not just run the siphon's nozzle on the sand to stir it up? It's the same thing, pretty much, but less hassle. If you remove it to rinse it, you run the risk of killing off your established bacteria and having another cycle. They'll grow back fast enough though.

If you choose to rinse out the sand, do it in old tank water, otherwise you'll be killing off your bacteria that's established themselves there. Be aware once you put it back in you will most likely have another cycle. Try to keep your sand and rocks wet w/ saltwater at all times, and have some water change out ready.

So be sure to check your levels everyday before you move your fish back from qt, otherwise all that work you did curing them will be for nothing.

Don't forget that small amounts of copper can kill your inverts, so try not to get any of the qt water in the main tank.

I have corals, invertebrates and a cleaner shrimp in the DT, so I do not want to start another cycle. Is there any way to remove the sand without starting another cycle? Wouldn't the live rock be plenty to keep the tank from going through a cycle?

You can do it, but will take some time. Using that hose remove a quarter of your sand with a water change. Do that 4 times. On the 4th time you can pull your rock, re-scapegoat, and add your rinsed sand.

Back