resealing a tank

robj6767

Reefing newb
Hi there, I just got my hands on a 75 gallon tank that was in rough shape with the seals. As i have never done this before with a tank, I'm looking for any help on tricks or information on how to do so. My main question is, do I have to seperate the glass and do the complete seal or can I strip off the old inside and then just reseal fromt he inside. The seal across the bottom of the tank seems fine and it is only the edges on the sides that are a bit old. The tank came from an aquarium and was already predrilled on the bottom, but the previous owner sealed that with a plate of glass. I don't have any worries about that leaking as its got a very good seal around it. What I do have a worry about is only resealing the sides. should I just reseal the entire tank or will the silicone adhear to the silicone across the bottom? If so, is a company called xiameter a good place for purchasing silicones online? I've heard good things about them but just wanted to double check.

Hello and welcome!

You can get silicone at any hardware store. I'd do that rather than order it online. I'm not quite sure I understand why you want to get it online.

If the bottom looks okay, then I'd just re-do the sides. Less work that way!

Just make sure that the silicone doesnt have any antimicrobial or midewcides in it. If it says "kitchen and bath" on the front, it most likely has those in it.

I have used Loctite brand silicone. It is a bit more than the store brands, but it says aquarium safe on it. But I never had to reseal a tank.

You can also test the tank by filling it up with water and letting it sit for a few days.

I would also think taking the plate that is covering the drilled holes and setting up an overflow with a sump. It would be easier to do now that the tank is empty than later on when you have the tank set up.

BTW where in chicago are you? I am on the south side. Welcome to the site.

The new silicone will not bond to the old. If you are doing the side seems you should do the bottoms while you are at it. Use a lot of clean razor blades and acetone to get the old silicone off. For a nice professional look take masking take and outline the seems. Lay down all the silicone and use your wet finger to finish off the joint. Let the silicone sit for an hour and take the tape off.
I would also use the hole.

look for ge type 1 silicone at lowes or at home depot..
I just resealed my tank, took a razor blade and took out the old stuff on the corners and sides but the stuff on the bottom was good so I left it. I got the ge type 1 silicone at home depot and a gun for it because I couldn't find mine. Wasn't more than $10. I put a bead on and then ran my finger to get it in and smooth. They have the applicators that will make it look better than using your finger, but mine didnt turn out too bad and it's not something that is noticed.

However, when you do it, only run your finger once. If it has started to set up at all and you see an area that needs smoothed just leave it until its mostly dry (20 mins) and the cut it out and redo that seam. It will just mess up and look horrible/not seal if you try to mess with it once its started to set up. I did that on one corner, then went back and just re did it.

Also dont try to wipe it to clean up spills or other spots. Much easier to scrape it off with the blade once its dry. If its not dry and you wipe it, it just smears and leaves a thin layer on the glass that you have to scrape off anyway. Its much easier to get the big spots then the layer of smeared stuff. All in all it isn't too hard though and works well.

I have a 75gal that I am going to reseal and sell. It was going to be my sump but it wont fit in my cabinet the way I built it.

Just make sure that the silicone doesnt have any antimicrobial or midewcides in it. If it says "kitchen and bath" on the front, it most likely has those in it.

I have used Loctite brand silicone. It is a bit more than the store brands, but it says aquarium safe on it. But I never had to reseal a tank.

You can also test the tank by filling it up with water and letting it sit for a few days.

I would also think taking the plate that is covering the drilled holes and setting up an overflow with a sump. It would be easier to do now that the tank is empty than later on when you have the tank set up.

BTW where in chicago are you? I am on the south side. Welcome to the site.
Okay, thanks a lot for the advice. I'm in Arlington Heights right now, but I grew up on the southside ;]

Back