Resisting temptations...

DesoShade

I'm a noooooob
As some of you know, my 30 gal has been cycling for about 3 days now. No fish yet. Just a little one pound live rock. everytime I go into lfs and see fish... everytime I go to aquarium fish store websites... I'm tempted. yes. tempted to buy fish. ... must... have.... fish... new aquarium.... must stock... fish.... mmm... :chicken:

I know the feeling.....

I went to the LFS looking at fish today and been on different websites all afternoon.Patients,my friend, patients...

Did the one pound start the cycle?

I duno if it did or not. I haven't tested my ammonia yet. I'm thinking about just buying a damsel fish to start the cycle. you know. something cheap. maybe a cheap snail. peppermint shrimp.

You'll regret it if you use a damsel.The DAM is there for a reason.
If your not sure if your cycle has started,then just get some raw table shrimp,drop a piece in your tank,and cook the rest for supper.

Hmm. You're not the only person that has downed on the damsels. what's so bad about them? they only cost 6 bucks. lol. Some of them look pretty cool, too.

They are exrememly aggressive. They will harass and eventually kill other fish in the tank. And then you will never be able to get them out.. Sneaky lil bastards..

The one damsel I started with that only cost me 7 bucks.KILLED every single fish I added to the tank.It killed over 100 dollars worth of fish.

They look cool but they can be MEAN. Most will try to kill smaller fish.
I know the felling, but to be sucsessfull you need patients. Good luck and send pics of first fish when you get it.

Yes they are hard to catch, and if you have alot of rock nearly impossable. They are very fast able to move in different direction quickly. They're even hard to catch in a nearly empty 55, believe me I tried.

If you insist on a live fish then use a Chromis instead of a damsel.They are docile and are even cheaper than damsels.,,2-3 bucks here.

Keep in mind, that unless you have ENOUGH live rock (1 to 2 lbs per gallon), you will not be able to keep many fish at all. Live rock is probably the best filtration system a tank can have. And without it, your nutrients will build up FAST, even if you have a filter or skimmer. So before you spend money on fish, I would spend more money on live rock. Also keep in mind, that if you do add fish before you finish adding live rock, every time you add more rock in the future you run the risk of starting a new cycle again and possibly killing the things in your tank. That's why it's the best idea to add ALL your rock at the beginning, let the tank cycle using the rock, then add fish AFTER it is done cycling.

Keep in mind, that unless you have ENOUGH live rock (1 to 2 lbs per gallon), you will not be able to keep many fish at all. Live rock is probably the best filtration system a tank can have. And without it, your nutrients will build up FAST, even if you have a filter or skimmer. So before you spend money on fish, I would spend more money on live rock. Also keep in mind, that if you do add fish before you finish adding live rock, every time you add more rock in the future you run the risk of starting a new cycle again and possibly killing the things in your tank. That's why it's the best idea to add ALL your rock at the beginning, let the tank cycle using the rock, then add fish AFTER it is done cycling.

yeah but... but... but......... :grumble:

you mentioned earlier about getting a peperment shrimp or snail. i would wait a few weeks until the tank cycles really well before adding any inverts. they will not survive the cycle. inverts are very sensitive to nitrates.

Back