return line

I prefer to do mine right at the water's surface when the tank us up and running, that way it breaks the syphon faster, and theres less slurping noises, and the sump is less likely to overflow..

same idea as above, i just prefer a slightly higher position on the pipe...

oh, and i actually drill 3 holes in each return, each 1/8th inch, and they half overlap in height... but rotate around the return tube by about 45 deg each.. so that way, if the water level is a little higher or lower for whatever reason, there are sill plenty of places for air to get in, and not to mention that by having more than one syphon break hole, if one of there were to get plugged with algae, the others are a cheap safety net...

Last edited:
Three holes in the middle of the tank spread out evenly, then the water goes over all 4 sides into a troff and down 3 large drains and then into the sump. 7000+ gallons an hour. If the check valves fail on the pump line and the power goes out I'm screwed and would lose about 2/3 of the water volume!

good thanks guys i think i will put one right above the water line and one right below just in case also should i drop the return lower in my tank 2 move thought the tank water better

Last edited:
Back