Return pump too big?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I'm about to switch out my sump from a 30 gallon to a 40 gallon and instead of having four different bulkheads to going back to the tank (this was originally planned as a CLS) I'm only leaving two of them open to be used and closing up the other two which are mid way up the tank. I am using a mag drive 2400 as the return pump and it's maybe 80% open now. My skimmer is an ASM G2. My overflow is two 2 1/2" durso's. The main tank is 180 gallons. I'm probably going to have to get some kind of powerheads/wavemakers now that I'm not going closed loop on this tank for flow.

Is the mag drive 2400 overkill for a this kind of setup? If so, would it make sense to maybe sell/trade this one and get a smaller one? Or once I get the new sump in and have just two return bulkheads, maybe make those as the source of my water flow and crack the return pump wide open?

Wow 265 watts on the 2400 mag drive, you may want to consider speedwave 24DC 2640 gph pump, totally silent and is fully speed controllable so you can set the output to what you require. I run 1320 Speedwave on my 90 G and it's great to be able to control the return output. :thumbsup: Google it and check them out.

Back