Return too strong?

kilo

Reefing newb
My return pump in my 50 gallon cubes sump is running good for the first few seconds then it depletes the water in its chamber, and starts to pump air. It's a 3k liter an hour, so I was thinking that the best way to solve the problem would be to downgrade the pump, that way it will give the sump more time to refill. Is this a solution?

I have a ball valve on mine so I can adjust the flow rate to whatever I need it to be. Adding a ball valve would be alot cheaper than buying another pump.

Add a ball valve on the return (NOT the intake) of the pump and dial it back

And I would do whatever you can to keep the pump from running dry, that's not good for the health of the internals

Yes it needs to be places on the out take not the intake. I used PVC pipe to go mine, because my pump is too strong. Mot sure how you would attach to flexible tubing.

Robb

What's the quietest pump around? The one we have is 3k liters per hour, so we'd need something similiar to that size.

Quiet One pumps are extremely quiet, but I have had a not so good experience with the pump housing leaking and the threads cracking when trying to tighten the fittings onto the pump. It is now my water mixing pump.

I prefer Danner Mag Drive pumps. I have had one running for about 5 years straight and it is still going strong.

Also, if you are going to replace the pump, might as well get one slightly less than the one you have. You might not have as big of an issue with it draining your sump.

I bought the ball valve and am now good to go on it not draining anymore! Thanks everyone!

Now I'm on the quest for a smaller/quieter pump

After reading this, the problem to me isn't with the pump. Either the return lines arent allowing the overflow to the sump as fast as its pumping it in or you dont have enough water in the system.

Back