Rinsing out spirulina

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I rinse my mysis and spirulina in rodi. Problem is, it's a PITA trying to get the spirulina off the net! The mysis plops right off the net once I've strained out the water. I'm beginning to wonder if I should bother rinsing out the spirulina :grumble:

Any thoughts on that? And if you do rinse out your spirulina, how do you strain it?

I don't rinse out any of my frozen food at all. I think it is just overkill. I know that some do it faithfully but I would venture to guess it has little effect either way. However with that said, I think you should do what makes you more comfortable.

Wonton why don't you try not rinsing your spirulina and mysis and see if you note any difference.

I tend to stick with whatever I was first taught....becomes habit :) When I bought my first batch of frozen food, my lfs advised me to rinse it out w/ rodi before putting it in, so I have been doing that since.

So I guess I'll just stop rinsing my spirulina. Saves me the hassle!! I don't mind the mysis so much because it strains out easily anyway.

Frozen food is high in phosphates which will fuel nuisance algeas but I really dont think straining is necessary. I just put mine in a cup with water and let it thaw and then let stir it up and let set. After it has set for a few I pour off as much of the water as I can and then add a little fresh water and put in the tank. Alot of the phosphates but not all will be taken out in that pour off. That`s just what I do.

The reason why I strain mine is because I make enough for a week. One cube of mysis lasts 3 days in my tank because there are only 3 fish in the 125, and 1 cube of spirulina lasts 4 days in my 45, which only has a goby and firefish.

Frozen food is high in phosphates which will fuel nuisance algeas but I really dont think straining is necessary. I just put mine in a cup with water and let it thaw and then let stir it up and let set. After it has set for a few I pour off as much of the water as I can and then add a little fresh water and put in the tank. Alot of the phosphates but not all will be taken out in that pour off. That`s just what I do.

Same here.

Here's a not so cheap solution that will catch the smallest food particles but will still help you rinse off phosphates.

Aquatic Eco-Systems: Aquaculture Supplies - Rotifer Sieve

Oh cool, Biffers...you just gave me an idea :) I can build that myself. I use my fishnet right now, and it works fine...spirulina doesn't go through BUT it's hard to scrape it off the material because the net just folds around the stuff.. So if I take some stockings, stretch it over a cylinder, it'll help me scrape it easier. It's not a "44-micron mesh" material, but it'll do :)

Back