Rinsing out spirulina

I rinse all frozen foods as well for a couple of reasons:
First: Being that as with any living creature, when they die, they release body waste etc, and it is high in phosphates. Which why not get rid of that source? So many people pay for Rowaphos but dump phosphates right back in...

Secondly: I soak all my foods in Garlic, Vitamins, amino acids etc. which can get expensive, well since all the frozen foods have a high water content, when they thaw you have a bunch of waste water in a cup with the food, so when adding vitamins to it, they get diluted and the foods are not soaking them up as much.

To the point of food gettting stuck in the net... get out as much as you can back in a cup and whatever else is stuck, shake it off in your tank for an appetizer for your fish. No waste.

And the moral of the story is... drain/strain the frozen food! Eliminates Phosphates and other unknown wastes, allows better saturation of food supplements, meaning you are not using as much of the food supp., you will have healthier food, and a healthier tank.

I rinse all frozen foods as well for a couple of reasons:
First: Being that as with any living creature, when they die, they release body waste etc, and it is high in phosphates. Which why not get rid of that source? So many people pay for Rowaphos but dump phosphates right back in...

Secondly: I soak all my foods in Garlic, Vitamins, amino acids etc. which can get expensive, well since all the frozen foods have a high water content, when they thaw you have a bunch of waste water in a cup with the food, so when adding vitamins to it, they get diluted and the foods are not soaking them up as much.

To the point of food gettting stuck in the net... get out as much as you can back in a cup and whatever else is stuck, shake it off in your tank for an appetizer for your fish. No waste.

And the moral of the story is... drain/strain the frozen food! Eliminates Phosphates and other unknown wastes, allows better saturation of food supplements, meaning you are not using as much of the food supp., you will have healthier food, and a healthier tank.

What is your process for soaking what do you put in exactly? and where do you get it?

I thaw all the foods in a cup, except like the frozen bar of Cyclopeeze (Which all gets stuck in a net). I thaw everything in RO/DI water, and then drain and the food goes into a net. Then I softly squeeze the food in the net to try and get most of the water out. Next, I put it all back in a cup, and then add the food supplements such as...garlic, selcon, multi-vitamins such as vitamarin, aminos/omegas and at that time I also add the cyclopeeze. Then I let it just sit there for at least 5-10 minutes and then feed the tank.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I do to thaw the mysis. Once you squeeze the excess water,it falls off nicely in a clump. I dip the net in the tank and whatever is left stuck gets eaten as their regular feeding. The spirulina is a pain to get off the net. I'm going to try a method like the product Biff posted -- the key is to stretch the netting tight, and just maybe flick it off without loosening it.

I used vitamin drops in the beginning, but no matter how little I put on there, the fish didn't seem to like it, so I stopped.

Back