Rio 800 to Maxi jet 1200

Patzig

welp, that didn't work..
Ok, have a small off brand skimmer with a Rio 800 pump on it. Skims fine, but it is loud as heck (yes the pump is loud not the suction noise from air hose). Everyone says to just upgrade to the maxi jet 1200 pump, but i see no details about a venturi on it, and the only hose that would bring in the air is on the outbound nozzle (this can't possibly create enough/small bubbles). Am i supposed to buy a separate attachment? Thank You in advance

Ok bump on this please. I have the maxi jet 1200 pump on the skimmer now and it's louder than the rio 800?!?! both pumps are virtually silent when i run them without air tubes and they're pushing only water. However, both are very loud once they are taking air in. Everyone raves about how quiet the maxi jets are? any suggestions?

I have this same skimmer in my garage, operated by a MJ1200. The only noise I ever noticed was if I completely uncapped the air line. The skimmer itself is quiet, I could only hear the excessive amount of air being sucked by the airline.

I have 3 Rio pump the 1400hf is pretty quite but the 1090gph ( don't remember the rio #) pump is REALLY loud I mean LOUD ! I have read that Rio's are known to be loud.

What I really want is the Eheim 1262 . Try Eheim pumps

Oh just read all of your posts. The impeller could be cavetating (spelling?) from to much air ?

Last edited:
Back