Rio pumps

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Hi,
I have two Rio pumps and absolutely love them, they are easy to clean, they are quiet, they are powerful, and relatively cheap. Never had a problem. I bought the second one as the return pump for my sump because I was so pleased with the first that I had connected to my skimmer, plus they always get good customer reviews on Marine Depot. On *another* forum, I see people bashing Rio pumps over and over again. I'm wondering, is there something I don't know about these pumps?? Are they well known to be of poor quality (ala Sea Clone skimmers?) and I'm just out of the loop? So confused... Thanks.

i have rio 1400 on hang on skimmer remora pro, and a rio 2500 in tank for water movement i like them they are quiet, but i just ordered from mj mod.com 2 maxi jets 1200 with two mod kits so i will have two small powerheads in tank with 2000 gph each.

I also have had very good luck with rio pumps. some years back the rio pumps had some reports of shorting out. This bad rap is still hanging around. I always insist on a grounded plug for the pumps I use and never had a problem. The problem were with the pumps with only a two spade plug. hope this helps.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I was hoping that I didn't waste my money, and in six months when they blow up, people would be like, "Well, you did buy a Rio...".

I have had numerous Rio's simply fail to operate within a year of use and had one shock me. That was the last straw for me. I have not used a Rio since.

I have used rios since the start with no problems. Few years of use, still around and pumpin. I have been shocked by someone elses, but upon taking it apart it was do to not keepin it clean. Just my experience.

Tony

Hehehe maybe karma's come back to bite me in the a$$. I just got a Rio HF 20 as the return pump for my sump/fuge. This thing is LOUD. Is there anyway to quiet it? I am using the bracket with suction cups to hold it in place on the bottom and it's hooked up to PVC. It's completely submerged, but really really noisy. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the confusion but I thought you were talking about the power heads. I did not understand you were considering the HF for a return pump. well for your question, make sure you did not reduce the return line from the pump output, do not throttle the pump back or create back pressure on the pump, put tops on your sump and line the outside with ridgid board or a ridgid sound board. Contact the place you bought it and see what they say, you might have gotton a defective pump. hope something here helps.

This is how I have it set up:

SumpPlans.JPG

I have a T from the pump so that I can adjust flow to the tank without putting back pressure on the pump (the ball valve back to the sump stays 100% open, I adjust the ball valve to the main tank).

I had to put the sump/fuge on the floor next to my main tank because my stand was not big enough to hold the size sump/fuge I wanted. The HF 20 is rated for 11 feet of head, I have about 7 (4 of that is horizontal). It is all plumbed with 3/4 inch PVC.

Am I doing something wrong? By the way, I also have one of those flap check valves, I just didn't bother to draw it in...

Where would I get rigid sound board? Thanks!

Okay, I'VE HAD IT! This thing is so freakin loud, and I think that after three days of this, I'm going to strangle my husband or my dog or my cockatiels or my cats or EVEN MY FISH if the noise doesn't stop!!!

So, from my setup above, can anyone recommend a good submersible return pump that will not rattle my living room? This is the overflow box I have: CPR CS90 Overflow Box - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store (CPR CS90) and I have a 20 gallon sump/fuge. I want to return this stupid Hyper Flow and get something that I won't need to take valium to live with. The sooner the better, I will send this thing back tomorrow! The smaller Rios that I have are very quiet; I'm quite disappointed with the Hyper Flow.

The high pressure pumps tend to be a bit louder. low pressure pumps seem to be a bit quieter. I would check out the quiet one, or Ehiem. You might pay a bit more, but, the pump should be quieter. You can get sound board at your local building supply outlet. you only need the 1/4" stuff. anyways i would agree to take the pump back and get a diff one. What ever pump you do get make sure it has a grounded cord. good luck and keep us posted.

Okay, I would definitely rather pay more for a quiet pump than have to deal with what I have now (I can hear it three rooms over, my husband doesn't even notice it, he says). I have been doing research and have read a lot of good things about Ehiem, that's probably the direction I'll go in.

Back