Ritteris and LEDs

ReeferRob

Reefing newb
Anyone have any experience with magnificas and LED lighting? If so what kind of wattage are you running on them? I REALLY don't want to go down metal halide lane with these, but I want to start propagating them to take pressure off wild stocks.

I haven't kept a mag under LEDs but I can't see you having any problem. There are some people on the reef central site that do. I have a haddoni on the sand bed under 3w LEDs and it is plenty of light. The mag would be up in the rock work so you would have more than enough PAR there.

I have a Condy and a LTA that's about 9" under an Evergrow LED fixture. Sitting on the bottom and they are doing great.

Nothing, yet. We'll just say that their ideas and my real life experience clash and if you rock the boat, they don't like it. Then there was the chat room incident that we won't go into. In the end, you can't have an argument with an idiot and win. I'll stick to smaller forums and help where I can in hopes that people will listen and save themselves a crap load of money and specimens lives. I've done just about every system out there from 1985 onwards. Berlin, Dutch, Jaubert, plenums and Eng's, simple works better.

I've used VHO flourescents to keep ritteris, just wanted some real world knowledge of LEDs and keeping them. I know metal halides can be used quite well, but I don't want anything to do with resource wasting lighting.

Anyhoo, I've ordered a 4 panel 312 watt LED system and a pair of WP-60's for the new tank. Also I have a large piece of live rock, dome shaped on order as well. We'll see how this does to keep the wandering bastid in place. Once it's settled I'll order some nigripes clowns from a friend in Africa.

Nothing, yet. We'll just say that their ideas and my real life experience clash and if you rock the boat, they don't like it. Then there was the chat room incident that we won't go into. In the end, you can't have an argument with an idiot and win. I'll stick to smaller forums and help where I can in hopes that people will listen and save themselves a crap load of money and specimens lives. I've done just about every system out there from 1985 onwards. Berlin, Dutch, Jaubert, plenums and Eng's, simple works better.

I've used VHO flourescents to keep ritteris, just wanted some real world knowledge of LEDs and keeping them. I know metal halides can be used quite well, but I don't want anything to do with resource wasting lighting.

Anyhoo, I've ordered a 4 panel 312 watt LED system and a pair of WP-60's for the new tank. Also I have a large piece of live rock, dome shaped on order as well. We'll see how this does to keep the wandering bastid in place. Once it's settled I'll order some nigripes clowns from a friend in Africa.
Oh that's not nearly enough details for us :D

You sure you dont want to talk about that chat room incident:D

I had had about enough of one of their resident trolls. He kept asking stupid questions ad infinitum. So I told him I wasn't answering anymore of his fing questions. Someone turned the censor off and one of the mods had a coronary. I put said mod in the sin bin and another one banned me. The admin came in and unbanned me and I went back in and told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't think his folks were married and other untimely things. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have not done what I did as I moderate on a few other forums, but I knew what he was going to do and that the admin was on his way in. There weren't any kids in the room and I try to keep it clean if there are. This was the core group shooting the breeze being annoyed by the troll.

I'm having these lights made custom too. 2 reds and 2 greens per panel as opposed to 1 green and 1 red per panel. I'm beginning to think the problems people are having is more spectral in nature rather than intensity with LED systems. ritteris come from water that's 1-3 metres deep so they're getting the sun's full spectrum rather than blue with the red and green filtred out.

Back