RO/Deionizations alternative?

chrisbchicken

Reefing newb
Is there a cheap or cheaper alternative to a ro deionization system. About $200 is to expensive for my taste since my aquarium is only 12 gallons (I'm a beginner). Any suggestions other than distilled water jugs? Thanks.

You can get a very good unit for around $130. Check out:

Bulk Aquarium Supplies - Reef Aquarium Supplies | BulkReefSupply.com
www.filterdirect.com
The Filter Guys

Distilled water is your only other (good) option. Many stores allow you to fill your own containers (I believe many Walmarts offer this, as well as those "water stations" I see around town here). Or you can buy 1 gallon bottles at the grocery store. All LFSs (local fish stores) will also sell RODI water, usually for cheaper than you can buy the jugs at the store.

Really? That's surprising. Most LFSs make their own water -- they don't sell the bottles. You either bring your own container to fill up, or you can put down a deposit for one of their containers (and get the deposit back when you return it).

Depends on if we are talking like chain stores like Petsmart or Petco they may do it but it isn't local to me. Just have small local petstores. Though I did go to a place local that I knew carried salt water fish but they had ZERO saltwater equipment. Which I didn't understand.

No, I'm not talking about Petco and Petsmart. As far as I know, those two places only sell the very expensive "seawater" that comes in a box, not RODI water. A general pet store probably wouldn't sell it. You might have to do some searching for a saltwater specialty store that's somewhat close.

I purchased the above-mentioned rodi unit which arrived in just four days after ordering it, it was very well packaged and was very easy to set up. I received it yesterday and seems to work very well.

Back