RO/DI Help

dankolle

Reefing newb
Hello,
I have been using tap water (at recommendation of lfs) for about 3 years now. They have since gone out of business and I am finding all advice was wrong!

After fighting some strange algae blooms and just overall being worried about my aquarium I think I am ready to go down the RO/DI road.

What system should I get? I understand how it works and the GPD stuff...but I'm worried about getting something that is all hype. Why does marine depot sell units for $400+ and I can get something like this on ebay for $100?

Aqua Reef RO DI Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System - eBay (item 120432201586 end time Dec-30-10 15:05:19 PST)

Should I trust this? I found another post talking about the pure water club and some reefers said it was pretty good. Can anyone vouch for this company recently?

Also, I found this 7 stage unit...does one more DI stage make better water than a 6 stage or is that overkill?

REVERSE OSMOSIS REEF AQUARIUM R.O/D.I WATER FILTRATIONS - eBay (item 250747979150 end time Dec-29-10 23:43:27 PST)

(Not sure if that unit comes with filters or not)

Thanks for any help!

I think a 7 stage unit is overkill. A 5 or 6 stage unit will take care of 99% of the impurities in the water. You get less bang for your buck the more stages you add.

Lots of people like these sites:

The Filter Guys
FilterDirect.com Whole House Water Filters, Water Booster Pump Choices

As for price differences, I really think it just has to do with name brands. Certain brands are more expensive than others, but they all basically work the same. If you want certain "perks" like an auto shut off valve, or an in-line TDS meter, you are going to pay more. But if all you want is a simple 5-stage 100 gpd unit, you can find one for around $150.

Back