Ro/DI systems

moncapitane

Reefing newb
Anyone used this RO/DI system for s/w aquariums:
Captive Purity 35 GPD Compact RO Information

Anyone have any good suggestion for a RO/DI unit? I only need one that will do like 40 a day or so because i'm getting a 50-60 gallon tank and will be doing a 20-25% change every week or 2.

I am new to this and have been doing a ton of research so any input is good because there are so many different opinions out there of what you need to do or what you should do. Also, are you using live sand or crushed coral and how much? I'm getting a 50-60 gallon tank and heard 1lb / gallon is too much and some people say 1.5lb /gallon is what is needed.

How much sand you use is totally up to you. If you wanted you could leave your tank without sand all together. Generally 1 lb/gallon. Will get you about a 1-2 inch deep sand bed. How deep you make it will really depend on the look you want for your tank and what you're keeping in it. If you dont have anything requiring it then you can go for 1" but some animals will require 2-6 in deep sand beds.

I've got wrasses that burrow into the sand at night to sleep so my sand bed is a little deeper at 3-4in in some spots.

I agree with bl1 i went with a 2 inch bed just in case I wanted something that burrowed later and the fish moved it around some where now I have a few spots that are in the 3 to 4 inch for them..

Well, I am not 100% sure yet on what fish I am going to be keeping. I know I want at least one semi small clown fish with its needed coral and a decent about of live rock with coral. I did see this really cool, at least I though so, sand digger with little fang like things coming down from their mouth digging in the sand so I was thinking like 2-4" of live sand for them to be able to get what they need out of the bottom. I am not remembering what they were called but I know where they were in the tank at the store that I went to. I also saw mollies in salt water so I might try and move my mollys out of my freshwater and acclimate them into salt water and move them over. Sorry if its a problem that i'm getting off the Ro/DI topic.

i got the portable one from purewater.com last year when i had my 30,i have ordered the bigger 6st filter system from them for 95 bucks,should be comming this next week

you should get dry agronite (sp?) sand, instead of crushed coral. Crushed coral will just lead to problems down the road as it it collect poop, uneaten food and other detritus, leading to nitrate issues. Plus crushed coral can be very damaging to sand shifting fish's gills.

filter model is FS-PO4 and RO model is PO-5B-50 visit purewaterclub.com

I know not finding that model on their site. I see a RQ-6BB-50 but its 6 stage. I am assuming that 5b is 5 stage, 50 gallons a day. 50 GPD is way more than enough as I only have a 50 or 55 gallon tank.

I would HIGHLY recommend a Bulk Reef Supply RO/DI unit. I recently purchased a 75GPD unit from them and have been very pleased with it. The main reason I chose to buy from them was the fact that they only use filters manufactured in the US and in accordance with water quality standards. They also listed which filters they used. That way if I do decide to drink the RO water I can have some confidence in the quality of water I am drinking. The thing that I didn't like about PWC was that the didn't list the manufacturer of their filter media, it just said made in the USA at least with BRS I knew what I was buying. Plus the wording on their website made me a little leary (i.e.WATER FILTERS is our professional items!. We do our best to provide the best quality every item !!). That's just my $0.02. Just wanted to throw out another system that you could research before you decided which one to purchase.

Back