RO/DI unit just came in, help!

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
22-148-2.jpg

This is what my RO/DI unit looks like.
I just connected all the hoses, and everything looks great.

I attached it to my mini-bars sink, and let it run (I was strangely nervous, and anxious at the same time). I sat in awe as the water started to fill up the system and 'pure' water came out. My only concern, is that I don't wanna ruin the membrane from to high a water pressure. When the unit was running, there were intervals at which the unit was 'buzzing' or vibrating. Is this is sign from to high a pressure? Or is it nothing to worry about.

may have just been getting the air out of all the filters....cavitation can cause alot of vibration. What is the max input pressure of the unit? City/County pressure is usually around 50-70 psi.

Last edited:
Max flow on the unit is 125 PSI.

My mini-bar sink is actually very powerful. It's not some wimpy kitchen sink, this thing got some punch to it.

RO water is good to drink......

RO/DI is NOT....... if you want to make drinking water, you need to tee off before the DI cannister.

I agree the buzzing was probably still air in the system...... Remember they recommend running 3-5gal of water thru the system before you start using it.

RO water is good to drink......

RO/DI is NOT....... if you want to make drinking water, you need to tee off before the DI cannister.

I agree the buzzing was probably still air in the system...... Remember they recommend running 3-5gal of water thru the system before you start using it.

Ok sounds good.
I already drank a little bit of it, so i hope I don't die from internal bleeding or anything. I'm going to the store today to get my hands on a garbage pail so I can put away the water. I heard that RO/DI water is susceptible to bacterial blooms, is this true? I plan on keeping it in my garage in a dark, damp container, as it's the place I can seem to put it. This seems like the optimal place to grow bacteria. Should I be concerned?

you won't get hurt from drinking DI water, but it's not recommended long term.

I store my water in 2 32 gallon rubbermaid containers that are hooked together by bulkheads. I keep it heated to about 75 degrees for my topoffs..... I don't have any issues with it going bad....... I use enough of it between my topoffs and waterchanges and waterchanges on my GF's tank. it doesnt' sit there too long.

I keep my water for a couple weeks at a time in rubbermaid trash cans. It's okay for short periods of time, but any water will get crap growing in it if you keep it sitting for too long.

Back