Ro/di?

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
RO/DI water; do I need it? I'm so poor right now, and I still have yet to pay for my live rock and live sand! (And the fish and coral!) Is this really a necessity or can I do without it?

yes, i highly recommend RO or distilled water over tap.

You can treat tap water with a conditioner but that will not get rid of all the algae problem you will have as a result of using tap water.

You can buy cheap RO water from walmart

Games right.
Tap water can lead to huge problems.And RO/DI units are expensive.But you can get RO water at a lot of grocery stores and wal-mart for a few cents a gallon(.33 cents a gallon here).

RO/DI water; do I need it? I'm so poor right now, and I still have yet to pay for my live rock and live sand! (And the fish and coral!) Is this really a necessity or can I do without it?

I agree that you need ro/di. If you are poor you can go cheap on your rock buy as much live as you can afford then put dead rock in and let it cure. This rock will eventually turn live I am unsure what the rock is called that you can use, but someone will probably chime in. Where are you planning on buying the filter try ebay. I think I paid $80ish for mine and hooked it up myself that is about the same as a decent fish or coral alone.

I paid $100 for my RODI unit. I got it at www.purewaterclub.com. Lots of people on here have bought from that website. If you start your tank with tap water, the frustrating algae problems are so much worse than if you start off with high quality water.

I paid $100 for my RODI unit. I got it at www.purewaterclub.com. Lots of people on here have bought from that website. If you start your tank with tap water, the frustrating algae problems are so much worse than if you start off with high quality water.

So, I went to the website; great place. I was looking at...

0 PPM Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filter#22-154

I was looking at installation and it looks a little complicated with 'piercing' holes in water pipes. Do I really have to do that? I just thought I shove a hose on my faucet and I let it do it's thing. :(

Yes, most RODI units need to be plumbed into the sink by punching a hole. There is an adapter you can buy to just attach it to your faucet, but you have to buy it separately. I'm sorry I don't have a link for it -- hopefully someone else does!

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=RO1317

That's the faucet adapter I use, I just screw it in, turn on the water, and I'm good to go. Let's me store my RODI unit out of the way when I'm not using it.

Oh, and the "dead" rock is called base rock. Buy a bunch of that and it will get "seeded" with live rock, will save you a fortune.

Hopefully you don't have to pay for your water, tho, because it uses a TON of water to get a few gallons of good water.
Alex

do ro/di units really pay for themselves with a high water cost at home? the rejected water amount is crazy from reading the article on this site unless i am reading it wrong. my water bill in the summer watering my lawn (big lawn) is $80.00 on average. just curious?:question: with a 98%rejection rate how much water is rejected just to get 1 gallon of good water?

i believe its around 5 gallons rejected for 1 gallon of good water, but the way it pays for itself is that your not running down to the LFS and paying for water by the gallon whenever you need it. at my fish store its a dollar a gallon for salt water

So, I went to the website; great place. I was looking at...

0 PPM Portable 100GPD Reverse Osmosis RO+DI Water Filter#22-154

I was looking at installation and it looks a little complicated with 'piercing' holes in water pipes. Do I really have to do that? I just thought I shove a hose on my faucet and I let it do it's thing. :(

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/RO/DI...hrome-Faucet-Diverter-Valve/product_info.html

that is the link to one I would recommend buying one I rent so I didn't want to permanently install it. Home Deopt has stuff to make it work but its a lot cheaper and easier to buy it from here. One cool thing that you can get from Home Depot is a quick release like on air tools / hoses so you can take it on and off very easily. As far as purewaterclub.com I ordered my unit on a Friday and got it the following Tuesday! that was one of the fastest turn arounds for an online buy for me.

Back