Ro/di

baeya

Aquarium Addict
Anyone have a great link to RO/DI for dummies?? I'm considering purchasing one but, really don't know much about them except they make pure water. I've done some searches but, need help in choosing one and understanding how to prepare the filtered water for the saltwater tank....

From what I'm seeing on other threads, there is a lot of waste water when using a RO/DI. It doesn't mention it in the videos. Where on the unit is the waste water expelled?

Also, the video said RO/DI isn't really necessary for fish only tanks. I don't plan on getting any live corals anytime soon so, do I really need one for a tank with just seahorses and a mandarin?

Also, what about adding back to the RO/DI water what is necessary? Adjusting PH? Anything else need to be adjusted?

You plumb a line for the wastewater back into the drain of your sink. So it goes down the drain. Most units create 3 to 5 gallons of wastewater for every gallon of RO/DI water produced, so that is something to consider. Even with that taken into account, it's still cheaper to make your own water than to buy it.

I think you should use RO/DI water even if you don't plan on having corals right away because using tap water often leads to algae problems, and you don't want to fight that battle unless you have to. And if you do keep corals and inverts down the road, it will be difficult to get your water in good shape if you have been using tap water all along.

You do not need to add anything to the RO/DI water before you use it. To top off for evaporated water, just add it straight to your tank. When you do a water change, the salt mix you use will adjust for pH.

You plumb a line for the wastewater back into the drain of your sink. So it goes down the drain. Most units create 3 to 5 gallons of wastewater for every gallon of RO/DI water produced, so that is something to consider. Even with that taken into account, it's still cheaper to make your own water than to buy it.

I think you should use RO/DI water even if you don't plan on having corals right away because using tap water often leads to algae problems, and you don't want to fight that battle unless you have to. And if you do keep corals and inverts down the road, it will be difficult to get your water in good shape if you have been using tap water all along.

You do not need to add anything to the RO/DI water before you use it. To top off for evaporated water, just add it straight to your tank. When you do a water change, the salt mix you use will adjust for pH.

Okay. Now I need to choose one......
Can you help me with that? I've noticed a lot of people talking about understanding when to change the filters. (is that the correct term?) And the reply is quite often to use a TDS monitor at several points of the process. Is there a unit that has these meters already installed in the proper places? My saltwater tank is 65gallons. I see a lot of people like the buckeye place to buy them. I've been to the site but, don't know which unit to buy.

You can either order a unit with the in-line TDS meters (built in), or you can buy your own TDS meter (they cost less than $10 on Ebay).

In my system, the DI resin changes color to let you know it's depleting in strength. I also have a built in TDS meter that lets me know the TDS of water going into the DI resin and coming out of the DI resin to let me know if it is working 100%. This is the unit I purchased. BRS 5 Stage PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

Okay.....this one has a 5 stage instead of 4 stage. Is there a particular reason to have a 5 stage? Well water?? I have really good city water. Should I still go 5 stage?
Thank you for your help! I like the built in TDS meters for sure!

You can either order a unit with the in-line TDS meters (built in), or you can buy your own TDS meter (they cost less than $10 on Ebay).

Yes, I think I better go with the most idiot proof system I can buy. I like the in line idea, for sure!
Thank you so much for your help!!

What I did with my wastewater line is hook up tubing long enough to reach our swimming pool and backyard garden.
When I make new RODI water the wastewater either waters our garden or goes to the pool instead of draining to the sewer.

I'm not sure what I would do with the waste water in the Winter but, I have a 6500gal. Koi pond that would benefit by more frequent water changes in the Spring, Summer and Fall. Can I use it for that? Has the waste water been de-chlorinated?

Back