RO vs RO/DI water

Ourfish

Reefing newb
Hi, I have a question about RO and RO/DI filters.
I thought for a soft coral reef tank we had to use a RO/DI filter but then I read the livingreefs article https://www.livingreefs.com/why-using-tap-water-bad-idea-t19865.html. I know it says RO filters only remove 95-97% of the bad stuff but I live around Vancouver and apparently the water is some of the cleanest in the world with 10 ppm. So if the water's already super pure to begin with, is just an RO filter like this one alright?(Kenmore Reverse osmosis unit-new)

Have you tested your tapwater with a TDS meter?I'm sorry,even for Canada,the 10ppm doesn't sound right.

If it really is only 10ppm.I think a dechlorinator is the only thing that you need to add to the tapwater.Maybe a small 2-3 stage RO unit or a DI filter will be good enough to get to zero.You definitely don't need to spend $500 on that crazy big looking unit.

I read an article about Vanconver's tap water and it IS very very pure with some of the lowest TDS in the world. If the TDS is truely at 10ppm then yes you could use it !

Does Vancouver not put flouride in their water?? If they do I guess your fish will have nice shiny teeth :)
I know Calgary water is full of chlorine, if you pour a glass you can smell it. Phosphate is especially high.

A TDS meter will cost you $10 to $20. I got mine off of Ebay.

Also consider what kind of plumbing you have. If you have copper pipes, it may be tough to keep inverts. Copper is fatal to inverts, even in small amounts.

I say better safe than sorry. Even if the water is super clean, there will always be other factors after it leaves the treatment facility. Would you really want to take a chance? Get at least a basic unit.

Back