RO vs. RODI

Percula

Reefing newb
It seems that having listened to our LFS we have ended up with some things that will work well enough, but there are better options out there.

Recently, we bought an RO unit. On Saturday we learned from a better LFS that RODI is really the way to go. Thoughts? Opinions?

Many thanks,

Lynda

RO/DI is the best way to go IMO. I am running a 6-stage unit that I purchased from Filter Direct. It's the RD-102 6-stage. Requires a pump to boost pressure up to around 60psi.
http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=29

1st stage - 5 micron sediment filter
2nd & 3rd stage - coconut shell carbon
4th stage - TFC/TFM 100gpd RO membrane
5th & 6th stage - de-ionize canisters

IMO a good RO/DI unit is the #1 piece of equipment you need in this hobby. Without the RO/DI unit, all the fancy filters and chemicals in the world will do nothing for your reef.

Thanks very much for the link. Unfortunately, it looks like they won't ship to Canada. Do you know of anybody who does?

Lynda

An RODI unit is better, and is preferable, but if it was me and I had already bought the RO unit, I probably wouldn't bother buying an RODI. The RO filters will take out 99% of impurities, and the DI is supposed to take care of the last 1%.

What you should really be using to judge whether you should get a new one or not is the TDS (total dissolved solids/salts) reading of your water. You can get a TDS meter cheap off of Ebay (I got mine for $15), and if your TDS is high, you should get a better unit. If it's low, yours is doing its job just fine.

thats not a bad one at all. i have a duel one that i got from bulkreefsupply that test the water comming into the rodi and water leaving it. i got it for about 26 buck i think

yea, i guess 5 bucks is pretty cheap to KNOW its right, and not be wondering all the time...

ok,

I'm in...

i just ordered my tds meter and solution and a ph meter and cleaning and storage solutions...

finally, i'm headed towards not having to tell the difference between green and a tiny bit greener!

yea, thats why i ordered the meters... cause i dont care what color the lcd display is, just so long as i can read the #'s

It seems that having listened to our LFS we have ended up with some things that will work well enough, but there are better options out there.

Recently, we bought an RO unit. On Saturday we learned from a better LFS that RODI is really the way to go. Thoughts? Opinions?

Many thanks,

Lynda

What brand RO unit did you get? It is entirely possible to add onto some units, depending how they're configured and built. Show me some specs and I might be able to tell you where you can find the DI canister to put on there.

Back