Rob's 150 tank build

rbl1979

Reefing newb
Hello once again living reefers.

It has been a long time since I made any posts, work was getting in my way of my tank. :frustrat: However after 4 years with my current 90 gallon aquarium I have been given the OK to get a bigger and will be very shortly upgrading to a 150 gallon one :bounce:. I will be hoping to order it later this week from a builder and will be posting it on here.

What I will be getting is a 5ft X 2ft x 2ft aquarium and I am leaning towards having an external overflow box and will be piping the sump into the basement in order to quiet it down on the main floor. Anyhow, pretty excited.

To get things started here is a picture of 90 gallon. The corals are growing so good, I have continuously been giving away pieces and chunks to others.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_7034.jpg
    IMG_7034.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 408
Looks really good, I am so jealous that you will be doing a 150. Cant wait to see it put together.

Reefnoob--- that is the first coral I ever bought and it is called a colt coral. Not sure what the long scientific name is but it won't stop growing. That piece at the top is just one that I kept. It basically overtook my tank and I had to give away or throw away a lot of it. At one piece the main branch was about 2 ft tall (full height of tank) and probably 1ft wide.

reefnoob- sorry for taking so long to get back, I bought it about 4 years back and it was about 2-2 1/2 years to get that big.

Well after an extended break from working on this build (Thanks paying job :frustrat:) I am going to be working on the build again right after Christmas, thought I would add some pictures of my new aquarium that came and a stad I build to hold it. The tank itself is 5' x 2' x 2'. I am hoping to make some progress here in the next month before I have to go back to the other job. :grumble:

Attachments

• IMG_7058.jpg
    IMG_7058.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_7062.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_7073.jpg
    IMG_7073.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 323
It was a custom built one. It wasn't what I was initially looking for this type of tank but I ended up finding a place that will build whatever you want. Turned out this tank was cheaper then any regular tank I could find. Crappy thing was it took 6 weeks to get.

jase --- yeah absolutely, I will definately putting in a screen to block and strays from entering.

buddy08 --- I doubt very much they would ship all the way down there. I am in Northern Alberta and they are a pretty small store. Actually I doubt they even make them there and that is why it took 6 weeks for me to get. Also being that you are in US, your pricing would be the same if not cheaper. We have quite a bit of mark up.

Well I was really hoping to have a online diary of sorts to share with everyone but alas work was getting in the way and it was just too much work to keep up but however I have everything up and going now and this is what it looks like now. I am still struggling with the water conditions and balancing everything but it is looking really good I think.

Attachments

• IMG_7292.jpg
    IMG_7292.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_7293.jpg
    IMG_7293.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_7294.jpg
    IMG_7294.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 315
Back