Rock Lifts?

Apparently they are little pieces of pvc or other material that you stick into your sand. You then build your aquascape off of them so that you don't have a lot of area on the gorund being covered. This is supposed to allow for more of a flow so that food and other items don't get stuck underneath any rocks or anything. Everything just kind of flows underneath and out the other side. (From what I understand anyway?)

if you have the rock placed on the bottom of the tank not on the sand bed then there shouldnt be a problem with food getting stuck

Raven you do want to either keep the rock on the bottom glass or prop it up on something, anything that digs in the sand especially under rocks can unbalance your rock structure and can cause falling rock conditions and could break your glass or kill inhabitants.

I have read something about using small sections of pvc as a frame(picture a square) to lift the LR up to create more surface area with the water, not weigh so much and it could also make hiding places if you wanted. Supposedly if done right and the rocks were epoxyed together you wouldn't see the framework.

If you use 1/2 to 1 inch pieces the sand will cover them anyway. Or are you talking about live framing? No need to epoxy the rocks together you can drill em and make PVC hooks and hang them. Check out this months edition of Marine Fish and Reef USA 2008 Annual for a great DIY live framing article.
Here a link to show you the cover if you cant find it PM me and Ill figure out a way to get it to you.
http://www.shopanimalnetwork.com/product.aspx?cid=30&pid=396

Some people do it, most don't. By no means is it necessary. Rocks usually fit together pretty nicely and are stable without needing any extra support.

Back