RODI unit

I used to recommend Pure Water Club to everyone. I've had one of their units for years and was very happy with it, as were everyone else that bought one. But in the last 6 months or so, I've heard nothing but bad things about their products and their customer service. Something has really changed with them, so I would advise buying from them at your own risk.

Instead, lots of people have had good things to say about Filter Direct and The Filter Guys. Check into those two companies before you make your decision.

I speak from recent personal experience....DON'T BUY FROM PWC and read the link that Ccapt sent you thoroughly. I bought a unit from PWC and it was complete garbage. I took a lot of complaining and clever thinking to get resolution. I ended up buying a replacement unit from Filter Direct and have had nothing but good clean water and a quality product.

Well I did a lot more research on the subject. The best deal at least "on paper" next to the PWC rodi units was from filter direct a nice 6 stage 75gpd unit for 138$ shipped. There where several other quite comparable units but the free shipping really seemed to seal the deal. However, before taking the plunge I had to give PWC at least one more shot at consideration realizing that their unit was 62$ shipped and less than half the price. I read several reviews. Most were people very happy abut recieving a good 0ppm unit for a very cheap price. Than there were also many who recieved items in less than ideal working order. Of those it seemed through patients, pictures, and e-mails most got replacement parts whenever it was deserved (with exceptions of course of our unfortunate fellow livingreefers :(). Long story short I think I'm going to take the gamble.. :x:.

Hmm. We would be hard pressed to recommend that unit. If you are going to buy it, at a minimum, unclip the horizontal DI stage and orient it vertically with bottom up flow. Given the broken english on that website, be prepared for more of the same in the instructions you are likely to receive.
The GAC filter has a capacity of 1500 gallons. Because that includes the water that will go down the waste line, be prepared to change it after you make less than 300 gallons of purified water. To be kind, it is very unusual for that GAC filter to be used before an RO membrane. It is more typically used as a filter between an RO pressure tank and a faucet.

I encourage you to do some homework before you buy!

Russ

Thanks for the advice! Since I only have a 29g tank and plan to do about 5g weekly water changes by doing simple math in my head the filter should still be good for roughly a year. :) I'm just concerned that it doesn't arrive in a broken mess. Lol

I did and thanks for your concern but I already took the gamble and bought it 2 days ago due to it being less than half the price. I also talk a lil more about it in my build thread.

My PWC RODI came in today. Everything seems to be intact but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach the 1/4" tubing to the diverter valve. Anyone have suggestions?

Edit: Got it I just kind of smashed them on. Put it all together now and it seems to be doing what it should be ( a minor leak at first but it stopped leaking on it's own after about 3 seconds). Going through the 30minutes rinsing stage. I have no idea what the tds is or if the water pressure is right but so far I'm feeling like my gamble has paid off. :mrgreen: Now to play with all the other equipment that came in today!

Last edited:
Back