Royal gramma with fin rot or injury

Solarfall

Totally Gnar
This morning when I fed my tank I saw the Royal Gramma come out for some mysis shrimp and his dorsal fin looked rotted.
It doesn't look red or irritated or anything though, the fin is just missing some flesh and I just see bones there. Is this more likely to be actual fin rot or is my cinnamon clown possibly picking on him? He's eating just fine, so I think it's more likely an injury.
I'll try to get a pic tomorrow morning at feeding time since that's the only time he comes out.

Sounds like he got busted up by your clown. You see actual BONE!?!?! I'd say you need to QT the guy until it heals. So the clown doesn't further injure that spot.

I would recommend removing him to a QT so he won't be an easy target. If his injury was caused by the clown then it is unlikely that the clown will leave him alone in his weakened state. JMO

Got a pic:
Untitled-1.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a QT tank yet. Unless I filled up my other 55g.....which I would would have to cycle etc anyway...... Maybe I could put him in the sump .

Actually I forgot to mention that I have an arrow crab, it doesn't move around much but it usually hangs out right by the Gramma's little cove.
I'm pretty sure he's the culprit now that I think about it because I've seen the gramma swim right by the clown and nothing happens. But the crab pokes around at anything that comes near it.

If you add vitamin C to his food it will help improve tissue growth so that he can recover better.

I can't see the pic, but from the sounds of it, I would be surprised if it was from the arrow crab.

Back