Royal gramma

AdeptMrSniffles

I have a Blue Thumb
Hey guys.

I see that there's another royal gramma thread but I'm pretty sure it's not ich that my little guy has.

I noticed it this morning when the lights came on and he came out of the rock. On the left side of his body on his face it looks like a white patch. It's not small spots. I'll grab a photo later after work if it hasn't been resolved. He's acting like normal, he ate this morning when I fed them. My params are all on target except my sg which is 1.028, I've been lowering it slowly after the accident with the water from the gulf of Mexico. Do I'm thinking tht might be related? Or is it possible that he rubbed against my frogspawn and it stung him? I've had him for about 2 weeks.

Thx

Read that it may be vitamin deficency. So I went home at lunch and used stuff I've had that contains vitamins and omega3 on thier food. The little fatties ate it all so I'll see if it's any different tonight.

Well, if it is a vitamin deficiency, it took a while to become a problem. It will also take a while to heal.
Hope everything turns out good for you

alright Hombres, here's a couple. I apologize for not REALLY being able to see it but I took A LOT of shots and these were the best. There's only so much my girls lil nikon coolpix 550 can squeeze out. I don't think it was designed to snap pics of a shy fish. It's the slight discoloration behind the eye.

DSCN6083.jpg

DSCN6089.jpg

Could it be Costia?

Just read online about it. The inflammation of the gills? Says it makes the scales grey and cloudy.

It hasn't been acting stupid, i.e: swimming upside down, laying sideways on rock, scratching, running into the glass, etc. It's just swimming around acting like it has. The only difference is the patch of grey behind the eye. I'm just worried that it'll kill him AND my clowns...... which might not be a had idea.... hmmm, j/k!

Sure hope so. The only thing I could of stinging it would be the frogspawn. It's day 3 of the white/greyish patch and the gramma is still acting normal. Still no rubbing or aggressiveness. It looks as though it has dissipated some so that's good. We'll see how it continues to play out.

****!!!!! I think it might be ich! I don't understand though, whats with the white, cloudy patch on his face? But I'm pretty sure I saw little white dots on the outside of his gills. Damnit! Go figure, I buy 2 fish and they jump to their death, I buy 1 more fish and it has ich (maybe). I have the worst luck with these bastards.

Or could it be marine velvet? Says that white dots can be spotted on intact skin. It's mean to say, but I wish I could just through the guy out and be rid of it! It's giving me a headache, it's all I think about at work!

SOMEONE PLEASE SAVE ME! Cuz I'm going ***king NUTS!

Last edited:
Well then it looks like your best bet might be a FW dip especially if the fish hasn't really appeared stressed yet. Even if it's not ich and it turns out to be one of the other diseases listed on that FAQ you found, a FW seemed to be one of the common solutions.

Also, you might want to double check those white spots; many times when we're stressed and suspect ICH in our tanks, we mistake white spots for simple grains of sand that may be temporarily stuck to our fish.

Back