Royal trouble

Colin

Reefing newb
I recently purchased a Royal Gramma and he has been hidden in the rocks for a few weeks now. I am nervous about him not getting anything to eat. Is there any way that I can coax him out to eat?

Have you seen him? So you know for sure he is alive?

Try soaking his food in garlic extract prior to feeding. You can buy garlic extract at any pet store or fish store, or you can make your own by pressing garlic and diluting out the oil with some water.

oh yeah hes alive. Ive been using a turkey baster and getting food behind the rocks. What about garlic makes the fish want to eat it?

They can be very reclusive. Mine, named Chester, was often out in front in the 75. Then I moved the tank and during the move I didn't see Chester at all. He actually got into one of the holes in the LR and was transferred from one of the tanks to the other, twice, without ever being seen. While he was in the temporary tank, I literally never saw him. Then when I got the 125 complete, I thought he was just gone. He popped out one day but still remains in the shadows. I'd say give him time and consider whether there are any other fish that might be intimidating him.

+1 above
Grammas are one of those fish thats either going to a royal PITA or be shy and hide a lot.

Mine stayed hidden all the time. I only saw him occasionally. I soon forgot about him and several months I realized that he must be dead. :(

Back