Rubble rock

NewbReefer

Reefing newb
With my new rock came about half a 5g bucket of rubble rock ranging from half an inch to 2 inch or even 3 inch pieces. Should i just put that into the sump to fill in the small areas with the other larger rock I plan on putting in there? what are the uses for rubble? i know many use em for frags which I plan on doing with some.

Rock rubble adds to the biofilter so there added surface aids in the breakdown of ammonia and nitrate.Safe havens for copepods,mini brittle stars and worms to reproduce.And as you said,people use them to attach corals too.Not only do I have them in the refugium and main tank,they are littered all over the sump for later use.My motto ''waste not,want not''.There better to have them in the sump,then the trash.

i think u could kinda use it as a base. it a nice place for pods to breed aswell. but i could also put it in the sump.

I put all my rubble rock in the sump. When I need a small piece of rock for coral I get it from there. I put the good pieces that I would use on top so I don't have to go digging.

I usually just drop the rubble in the sump,or every once in a while,in behind the rock.Pods love having small piles of rubble to breed in.

Just make sure you skim the water if you can before it dumps its load of particulates and sediments in with your rubble to hide. They will just putrefy if left there and provide algae nutrients. Sumps should have a settling area for particulates, either in the skimmer compartment or a wide tall bubble baffle or open compartment before they carry detritus to an area full of rubble. Pretty hard to siphon around and under a layer of rubble.

I have done a little veneer stone work (for myself, friends an the military(civil service)), but that is about all, other than block and formed concrete which definately is not stone work. Never done brick or cut stone. I cheat when I do veneer stone work. I use a lot of utility wire to hold the stone up and cut it after the mortar has set up very well. I mainly just use rubble to give adequate mortar spacing. I could not fathom trying to lay up a real stone wall or a dry retaining wall. My veneer work looks acceptable, but I would by no means try to hire out as a mason.

Last edited:
All of the rosebuds from block and concrete! My most favorite job ive ever had, liked being a mason tender just as much. Who needs to go to the gym when you hauling 72 heavy split 12s up three bumps of scaffolding! Best shape of my life handsdown.

All of the rosebuds from block and concrete! My most favorite job ive ever had, liked being a mason tender just as much. Who needs to go to the gym when you hauling 72 heavy split 12s up three bumps of scaffolding! Best shape of my life handsdown.
I worked for, and then as, a roofer for a few summers and weekends as a teen ager. It was lots of fun carrying 97 pound bundles of asphalt shingles up a shaky wooden ladder. Of course that was shoulder and back work and did not give you them distinctive claw hands gotten from carrying blocks. I have frequented a lot of 12 step programs, but masons?????????? Makes me think of a bunch of broke back old men with scaly white hands sitting around talking about their old times snorting lime powder, and everyone gasping as one said he preferred dolomitic lime. :D

Yep that would just about sum it up. Dont forget about worn out shoulders wrists and knees too! I really do love it though!

Back