Rusty/Brown color all over my sand

jarock

Reefing newb
I have noticed this rusty/brown color all over my sand, would that be because its cycling or something else i did all my tests but for some reason my PH seems very low to my other tests would that might be what is causing it?

Those sound like diatoms -- a type of algae. Diatoms are totally normal in a new tank. You'll get diatom outbreaks pretty regularly for the first 6 months or so. As your tank matures, they will appear less frequently until they go away altogether. There isn't anything you can do about it except wait it out. It also helps to never use tap water (use only RODI water), and not overfeed your fish. Like other algaes, the diatoms will thrive on the nutrients found in tap water and produced by overfeeding.

How low is your pH?

Do you know a good link biff by any chance so i could research and buy something to filter my water or can you buy water thats already purified like in a Nimbus cooler

Careful with the WalMart water jarock. I tested mine, and it was not reef-worthy IMO.

You can get a 'good enough' TDS (total dissolved solids) meter for $20. I bought the 1g 'distilled water' jugs from walmart. I avoided their dispenser thing. TDS was too high for my taste.

See if your LFS has some. Paying $5 for 5 gallons at walmart is pricey. You should be able to get it much cheaper from your LFS until you gett yourself a RODI unit.

Back