Sailfin vs. Powder blue

YES, you can. Did that make you feel better? The Sailfin will probably be easier as they are fairly hardy, I have heard the powder blue are less hardy but I totally understand wanting one, I think they are gorgeous. Now just between you and me, here's my take on the tang thing and the size of the tank, I will keep the fish I want until it becomes too large for my tank and then take it to the lfs and sell it, their is always someone with a larger tank than you who will want it and you can get you another small one to enjoy for two to four years, cheers!

Both of those fish will be happy in your tank, but powder blues are very difficult to keep. Make sure you get a healthy one! Sailfins are very hardy and not wimpy like powder blues. ;)

I have a sailfin. IMO they're about the most boring tang on the planet. Mine has the personality of a dried algae sheet.

A nice healthy powder blue is very hard to resist. Unfortunately they'll get ich if you look at them funny.
I think we all know this is not true....
ICH IS PREVENTABLE ........QT ,treat .....I know it does no good if there are other fish that haven't been qt'ed in the DT,but thats my point....I could get a PB ,put it in qt, treat,then my DT.....it won't get ich..no matter how long i look at it:mrgreen:

True true Nemo. Are powder blues good shippers? I'd imagine the moving process might be harsh are those guys.

On another note, I saw a Petco employee catching fish for people and it looked like a mad chaotic struggle to catch the fish. So, I'm wondering if this on it's own could stress a fish to death.

True true Nemo. Are powder blues good shippers? I'd imagine the moving process might be harsh are those guys.

On another note, I saw a Petco employee catching fish for people and it looked like a mad chaotic struggle to catch the fish. So, I'm wondering if this on it's own could stress a fish to death.
Right ,this is why i'm such an advocate of QTing.....give the poor little fish some down time to just chill and catch their breath before we plunge them into a tank with other established healthier fish....I understand many of you have NP with not QT'ing ,but then there are others who don't...to me it just makes sense :Cheers:

Neither of those are a good choice for a 4' tank. Powder blues get very nasty when they get older and sailfins get huge.
I would go with a tang in the Ctenochaetus family like a bristletooth, tomini, kole, etc.
Ctenochaetus

Back