salinity question

Prototype220

Reefing newb
So, ive had my 10 gallon running for about a month now, and when i set it up i transfered everythung from my established 55 gallon, so there was no cycle time. Just added a few critters last week so yesterday was the first time i did a water change. Did everythung the way i usually do, removed 2.5 gallons, mixed my fresh ro water with reef crystals for about an hour, checked the salinity & temp and it matched my tank (1.025), and poured the water in. Everything was fine, byt today i checked my salinity again (+nitrate/nitrite, calcuim, etc.) And my salinity is 1.028!!! So i have been took out a gal of water, and added a gallon of fresh ro water... now my salinity is 1.022 :pooh: SN taking out water, mixing a tiny bit of water and trying to gradually raise it to perfect again :( I knew keeping the parameters in my 10 were going to be harder to maintian than a larger tank but damn! Just wanted to know if i am doing it right or if anyone has any suggestions? #frustrated

Ideally you should mix your water about 24 hours ahead of time. Freshly mixed saltwater is rather caustic. That will also let your salinity stabilize at temperature.

Out of curiosity, are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? A correctly calibrated refractometer is far more accurate than a hydrometer and should be used for reef tanks, especially tiny ones. Since a small change has such large consequences in a smaller tank, it pays to be as precise as you can be.

you can find one ebay for around $25 and the calibration fluid is around $3. Which in a about a year will pay for itself because hydrometers need to be replaced every 6ish months.

Also at this point I would start slowly adding saltwater to raise the salinity. Changing the salinity that fast could crash your tank. You really shouldnt change the salinity more than .001 a day.

Wanted to tell you thank you for the suggestions, they really helped! salinity was off and i panicked and wanted a quick fix when we all know slow and steady wins the race in sw :) Everything is perfect now...salinity 1.25!

Back