Sally lightfoot crab

andersoned14

Reefing newb
Is a sally lightfoot crab reef safe and anybody who has had one to they pick on your fish??? Mostly during feeding mine will snap at the fish swimming by:ugh:

I used to have two. I watched them catch, kill and eat perfectly healthy fish right in front of me. Their behavior started with them snapping at the fish, just like yours, and escalated until they were able to successfully catch them. I would never get a sally lightfoot again.

I had one once and thought it was the fish eater. I found another crab in the tank though that was a hitchhiker which I think was the real culprit. But who knows. Many people will say any crab has the potential to kill your fish. I would agree that if a hungry crab has an oportunity to snag a fish it will. They are typically viewed as reef safe though.

I was thinking a trigger or a puffer might put him in his place--like a glass cage battle royal-- but those both go against my original plans for tank. Maybe I will take it out.

I was thinking a trigger or a puffer might put him in his place--like a glass cage battle royal-- but those both go against my original plans for tank. Maybe I will take it out.

Good luck catching it.:D
I never had any problems with sallys.But I've never kept one that long either.

Ive had a Sally for about 4 months. She has not shown any signs of aggression towards any of my fish. She will jump and snag food out of the water during feeding time, but nothing else.

I will have to keep a closer eye on her now that Ive read this. :grumble:

Back