Sally Lightfoots....Dead!!

Becki67

Reefing newb
We just lost both of the Sally Lightfoots....within 8 hours...who could have done it???

The BF went out and bought a sea hare yesterday....today both the crabs are gone....I don't even know if the emeralds are okay..we can't find any of them.

Water parameters are all good, just another outbreak of diatom algae. They were found in the same spot, though.

Any thoughts? They were all doing fine for the past two weeks and now...it's our first casualties....

I hated them, but I didn't want them to die......I'm sad.

No, there were legs off of one and the other was the full crab...when they molt, does it look like the real thing?

Yep, it can be hard to tell the difference, it looks like a replica of the crab itself. Except if you take the "body" out of the tank, it's hollow. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they are dead yet. After animals molt they'll usually hide for a few days because their new exoskeleton is soft and doesn't provide them with much protection. Keep an eye out for them, they may show up.

can you find and empty hermit shell? that the crab was in.

Do they use shells? I thought they were just 'crab crabs' for lack of a better term. Iv been fulled a couple times by my crabs molting. :mrgreen:

Maybe the crab people did it.
180px-Crab_people2.jpg

when my SL molted i fished out the skeleton and left it on the counter to dry out ... scared the crap out of my wife! :yikesu: i found it extremely funny though ... they do look like the real crab ... my SL usually comes out of hiding in about 2 days or so ... if you leave the skeleton in there the SL will eat it believe it or not ... at least mine does ... weird!

Nope, they're definitely both dead.

My purple lobster molted Monday and it's totally different (and really cool).

These were definitely the entire crab bodies that I pulled out. It's weird, though, they died within a few hours of each other. I just saw them in the morning skittering around and looking all evil and by evening they were dead.

The water parameters are all good and have been stable. The only difference is that algae outbreak again.

Any ideas?

My sally's do life Biff says, when they molt you can't tell the difference. You need to take them out of the tank and check em out. I had one that molted on my overflow box and didn't move for days. I thought it died and was stuck to the box. Turned out to be just the molt but you couldn't tell at all. Even the color stayed on the molt. Weird.

Back