Salt at bottom of tank

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I keep getting some salt creep coming from the bottom of the tank in a couple places just above the black lip along the bottom but no actual signs of water. I wipe it clean with a dry towel and as soon as the next day it's back again. Is this a sign of a leak and should I be concerned?

Is there any sign of a water drip down the back or side of the tank? I had this before when my pumps were causing the water to wick down the cords and drip onto the plastic rim then as the water leveled out and dried it left the salt residue. I fixed it by lowering the water level in the DT.

No water on outside of the tank. I use an overflow box to get to the sump and my water level is just above the bottom of the top black lip so I have maybe 3/4" gap from water level to rim of tank.

I don't think you should worry too much just keep an eye on it. If it were a leak or a bad seal near the bottom the head pressure form the water would drain the tank. You likely spilled or splashed saltwater into the trim piece and your just seeing the salt creep as it drys.

I don't think you should worry too much just keep an eye on it. If it were a leak or a bad seal near the bottom the head pressure form the water would drain the tank. You likely spilled or splashed saltwater into the trim piece and your just seeing the salt creep as it drys.

This happens to me all the time lol.

That's what I was thinking also, some could be down in between the plastic and glass and it's slowly drying and the salt remains. Thanks guys,

HA-HA I was just getting ready to post the same thing here. I don't see any water either but the salt build-up is terrible. I think I will try lowering my water level some too.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 418
Yeah, that's what mine looked like but it just seemed to be getting worse. Before I tore it down, it was just about all the way across the front. But like I said, it's broke down now sitting outside. I'm going to spray it out real good, dry it out and test for leaks just to be sure it doesn't but the seal looks brand new still.

Back