Salt level doesnt go up

Aqua_man

The Fish Guy
Hello im new to saltwater aquariums and noticed that my salt level is at .021-22 and im adding saltwater and doesnt seem to be going up. Maybe im adding fresh water to tank but I remember telling the man in pet store for 1 gallon of saltwater. Anyone know what to do because cant add anymore water to my tank its already filled up. :frustrat:

If your level doesnt go up when you add water from your lfs try taking water outta the tank and putting more salt into it then put it back into your tank:Cheers:

that same day had to take out some water and add fresh water with a nitrite reducer because my clown fish was twitching after that is when my salt level really got messed up. thanks for the replies:D

If you already have livestock, you need to make the change slowly. Just top off with saltwater until the levels are correct. A large, fast swing in the salinity can kill livestock.

Also, if you have nitrites, then your tank is still cycling and you should not have any fish. Please return the first you do have until your cycle is over (ammonia and nitrite go to zero). Dying from ammonia or nitrite toxicity is a horrible way to go

you have ammonia (NH3) from the fish poop, deadly, which is converted to nitrite (NO2-), still deadly, which is converted to nitrates, NO3. The nitrates are deadly to everything at high levels, and toxic to inverts at low levels.

I would do your water tests to figure out which one you have exactly.

oh ok just to make sure what happened was I moved a rock a alot of algae kicked up in the water and my clown fish started to twitch so i took some water out added fresh water then added nitrite reducer think I needed nitrate reducer if theres anything like that

Back