Salt Mixes?

Amboy1976

Reefing newb
First of all, thanks for all the direct and indirect advice! I have been EXTREMELY happy with the discussions you all partake in. I’ve taken a lot of advice from here and have had great results. Thanks!
Now for my question; I’ve decided to start mixing my own salt water. I am over carrying buckets of salt and fresh from the local stores! Plus, I’d like to start saving money to buy better critters. LOL! I just ordered a RO/DI system from the reviews I saw here. It should be arriving later this week. SO EXCITED! Now, in your opinion, what‘s the best brand of salt mix? I’m look forward to your expert opinions! Thanks again! :bounce:

There are lots of good salt brands. I switch between 3 of them, depending on what is on sale at the time I need it. The 3 I use are Oceanic, Seachem Reef and Kent Marine. You will save so much money by making your own water! Good choice to get the RODI unit.

I have switched to tropic marin. There is the regular and pro reef salt depending on if you run any reactors. The tropic marin salts mix so well you will notice an immediate difference because when I used instant ocean there would always be undissolved solids at the bottom of the bucket. It contains all of the trace elements found in tropical sea water and is made from pharmaceutical grade salts with no nitrates and phosphates. Not widely available at most stores though and more expensive.

I use Red Sea Pro Coral salt mix. However, If you can find one in a cardboard box instead of the 5 gallon bucket, you can save quite a bit of money.

I started with instant ocean but have recently switched to tropic marin pro reef after seeing it was used in several AMAZING tanks and it also has the closest params to natural sea water according to the salt mix thread on RC. I paid 80$ for a 200G bucket at a LFS. Not sure about having to run reactors for it, so far I haven't and it seems to be doing it's job.

I use Red Sea Pro Coral salt mix. However, If you can find one in a cardboard box instead of the 5 gallon bucket, you can save quite a bit of money.

I use the same,especially made to compensate for the low pH of RO/DI water.Probably not necessary but it works and dissolves fast.Calcium,mag and akalinity has tested good too.

Back